Breakfast Networking: The future of 5G inside buildings in the UK
|Date||Thursday 26th March 2020|
|Times||8.00am - 10.00am|
|Venue||Møller Institute, Churchill College, Storey's Way, Cambridge CB3 0DE|
|Cost||FREE for Members | FREE for Non-Members|
The UK 4G mobile networks delivers countrywide (91% geographic) download speeds of 10-40Mbps and 20-50Mbps in our cities, which would be respectable speeds for a home fixed line broadband connection and delivers social media & video on the move. Current headlines promise 5G will deliver 10x these download speeds, but fails to mention there is no Ofcom license requirement for minimum coverage areas.
In this talk Colin Eddison, CEO, Herbert in-building wireless, will:
- outline what 5G (New Radio) is and the capabilities it provides: enhanced mobile broadband (eMBB), ultra-reliable & low latency communication (uRLLC) and massive machine type communications (mMTC) or massive IoT.
- outline possible “killer application areas”: smart buildings (e.g. building control, IoT devices, optimizing occupancy, etc.), connected & autonomous vehicles (CAVs) and industrial machines.
- identify the first 5G frequencies auctioned by Ofcom in April 2019 and the current Mobile Network Operator (MNO) rollouts
- cover the current Ofcom plan for future 5G license auctions, the new frequencies, intended applications and associated operator obligations (e.g. geographic coverage, in-building coverage, shared rural masts).
- outline why an in-building mobile phone coverage solution may be required for your building
- highlight the technical requirements (e.g. JOTS) and the harsh commercial realities of dealing with the MNOs, together with the potential pitfalls of trying to implement a “quick & cheap” solution or no solution at all, both of which could significantly impact rental income.
Colin joined Herbert in 1999 as Technical Director after spending nearly a decade working in semiconductor research. He introduced DAS technology into Herbert Retail Ltd in 2012 resulting in the first UK installation of a Zinwave Distributed Antenna System in Broomfield hospital, Chelmsford in 2014 approved by EE, O2 & Vodafone. He now heads up Herbert In-Building Wireless Ltd and counts Sky (incl. HO), RBS (incl. HO), AstraZeneca (HO), Royal Papworth, Addenbrooke’s and Broomfield hospitals, Stanhope plc (Angel Court & White City Place), Manhattan Loft Gardens and UK Parliament (incl. The Palace of Westminster) amongst its clients. Colin enjoys a good relationship with all four UK MNOs who have approved all of his DAS designs across multiple DAS hardware vendors.
This is a joint event between Cambridge Network and Herbert In-Building Wireless.
08.00am - Registration and networking over coffee and breakfast
08.30am - Speaker - Colin Eddison, Herbert In-Building Wireless
09.30am - Further networking and a chance to follow up with the speaker
10.00am - Event close
This event is free for members and non-members. To register click Book Now.
|Want to hear about other events?
To hear about future events, jobs, courses and news please sign up here
Cambridge Network is a membership organisation based in the vibrant high technology cluster of Cambridge, UK. We bring people together - from business and academia - to meet each other and share ideas, encouraging collaboration and partnership for shared success.
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB3 0DE