Urban&Civic are the owners and developers of Alconbury Enterprise Campus: the Government-backed Enterprise Zone established in 2011 to create nearly 3 million sq ft of high quality low carbon business space for production, R&D and offices to the North of Cambridge.
Urban&Civic was founded in 2009 by Nigel Hugill and Robin Butler, who have collaborated for 25 years to direct some of Europe’s largest regeneration projects, including Stratford City (London 2012 Olympic site), Greenwich Peninsula and Paddington Basin. The team has extensive experience of large, complex sites, and a powerful sense of mission in creating properly integrated mixed-use developments, with enduring quality and value.
We cover every aspect of the development process, ensuring quality and environmental standards are delivered at every scale: identifying strategic sites; structuring complex financing; overcoming infrastructure challenges and delivering major transport interchanges; working with local partners and communities; and negotiating planning at every level. Our guiding principle is to create long-term sustainable developments, with rich landscapes, which are recognised internationally, respected nationally and cherished locally.
The company’s first local development is the freehold of the 1420 acre (575 hectare) former airfield at Alconbury, next to Huntingdon. This is now being transformed into the high quality low carbon community of Alconbury Weald which will deliver 8,000 jobs, 5,000 homes, 700 acres (283 hectares) of green space. The Weald will include investment in inspiring community and educational space, and transport facilities including links to the market leading Guided Busway and a new railstation on the East Coast Mainline.
At the heart of Alconbury Weald is the nearly 3 million sq ft of Enterprise Zone Campus being developed in this unique business location. Situated on the North South transport spine of the country, between the A1(M) and the East Coast Mainline, and with close East-West links to the A14 and Guided Busway, Alconbury Campus provides high quality flexible and bespoke Enterprise Zone space for production, offices and R&D. Sitting between the global innovation hub of Cambridge and the cluster of over 350 eco-based businesses at Peterborough the Campus lies at the heart of – and is home to - the Local Enterprise Partnership.
As a Government and partner-backed Enterprise Zone, Alconbury Campus offers a host of benefits:
- A 100% business rate discount, worth up to ￡275,000 over a five-year period, for businesses that move into an Enterprise Zone during the course of this Parliament;
- For at least 25 years, all business rates growth within the zone will be shared by the local authorities in the LEP area to support their economic priorities;
- Government and local authority help to develop radically simplified planning approaches in the zone; and
- Government support to deliver superfast broadband across the zone.
Urban&Civic are also offering a range of other opportunities, including:
- A team of internationally renowned architects, consultants and project managers ready to provide a bespoke service;
- Support in recruiting local people and up-skilling new and existing staff;
- Green travel advice to help you support your people in getting around;
- A range of local banks, businesses and services;
- Flexible terms and options. Joining us early gives you the chance to grow in a setting that will meet your needs both now, and in the future;
- Help, in conjunction with our partners, to access additional support and funding.
Alconbury Weald has a workforce of one million people living within 60 minutes’ drive, with skills levels up to 20% above the national average. Urban&Civic are breaking new ground in working with a partnership of local training providers and colleges specifically set up to deliver skills and training for new or existing employees of companies relocating to the Campus.