University of Cambridge: Open Technology Workshop and Biomaker Fayre 2017
The Open Technology Workshop will showcase and celebrate open and open source technologies for research and education developed across Cambridge and beyond. The Biomaker Fayre is the culmination of four months work by 41 teams building low cost instrumentation for biological and biomedical science.
|Dates||21 Oct 2017 - This event is in the past.|
|Opening times||09:30 - 18:00|
|Venue||University of Cambridge's Department of Engineering, Trumpington Street, Cambridge. CB2 1PZ|
|Organiser name||Jenny Molloy|
In the morning we'll explore many examples of open technologies and their implications through exciting talks on everything from distributed 3D printing in Africa, open hardware in Brazil and universities collaborating with companies to create open technologies in Denmark.
The afternoon will consist of a Biomaker Fayre - exhibits and demonstrations of open source biological instruments, lab and field equipment featuring over 40 teams who participated in the 2017 Biomaker Challenge.
All others with maker projects related to science and biology are invited to exhibit! See registration details below. We'll have everything from spectrometers for measuring the colour of penguin guano, microfluidics for tissue culture, to ultrasonic systems for measuring plant height and 3D printed modular microscopes.
Registration Link (£5 for half day, £10 for full day. Lunch and refreshments included)
• Brenda Parker, Biochemical Engineering, UCL and Paolo Bombelli, Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge,on 'The Big Algal Open Experiment'
• Marie-Louise Conradsen SPOMAN Open Science Community: 'Brokering trust – how open science can benefit both industry and academia'
• Tobey Wenzel, Department of Physics, University of Cambridge University, and founder of Journal of Open Hardware
For more details about the speakers and their talks visit here
09:30 - 12:40 Open Technology Workshop Talks
12:40 - 13:30 Lunch
13:30 - 16:30 Mini Maker Faire
16:15 - 16:30 Prize Giving
17:00 - 18:00 Final Talk and Reception
18:30 onwards Pizza and Networking in Makespace (16 Mill Lane)
Want to exhibit in the Biomaker Fayre?
- Please do! Biomaker Fayre exhibitors can attend the whole of Open Technology Week free of charge.
- Every individual exhibitor should register using the esales form under 'concessions'
- Each exhibit must also complete an exhibit registration form
Organised by the Department of Engineering and SynBio SRI
The Synthetic Biology Strategic Research Initiative provides a hub for anyone interested in Synthetic Biology at the University of Cambridge, including researchers, commercial partners and external collaborators.