Communicating across cultures is the great challenge of the global community. In a world that grows closer together, we cannot afford cultural illiteracy. We view people and situations through our own cultural lens and judge or misjudge them accordingly. Therefore, self-awareness and cultural awareness are inseparable. Leadership has moved to one more collaborative and cross-disciplinary in nature, crucial in gaining an edge.
Intercultural Competencies & Leadership
Learn to create long lasting, productive inter-relationships from almost anywhere in the world to your personal one-to-ones.
At a time that has seen a seismic shift in working practises across the world, personal and organisational leadership has never been as important as it is right now. The way in which we approach business dramatically changed over the past few decades. Prior to the pandemic (2020), the uptake of interconnected technologies and interdependence of cultures between organisations was keenly felt, with an exponential trend last year.
In this Workshop we will:
- Examine our own identity (influences of personal and cultural ‘baggage’).
- Learn about common cross-cultural theories (cultural iceberg, cultural relativity).
- Look at dimensions of intercultural interactions (high- vs low-context, power distance).
At the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Appreciate the impact of your own culture on your values, assumptions, and behaviour.
- Understand how cultural frameworks influence ways of thinking and doing.
- Adapt your behaviour to communicate effectively in intercultural encounters.
See the full details & register here:
Cambridge AWiSE is a regional network for women in Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths and Medicine (STEMM) in both industry and academia. It supports recruitment, retention, promotion and return to a STEMM career after a break. We bring together women with common interests and act as a source of support, information, and inspiration. We provide regular workshops, training, talks, networking opportunities and information through our website and newsletter.