Cambridge Network: Mayoral election hustings event
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough has won £770 million of new funding and is electing a Mayor to lead the decisions on how to use the devolved powers. Businesses should be interested to come and ask questions of the candidates for this new role.
|Dates||5 Apr 2017 - Download as vCalendar|
|Opening times||5.00PM - 8:00PM|
|Cost||Free (members) / Free (non-members)|
|Venue||Cambridge Union, 9a Bridge Street, CB2 1UB|
|Organiser name||Louise Rushworth|
- Featured event
- Places available
|Member price||Non-member price||Please log in and then make your booking. Book Now|
A NOTE ABOUT BOOKING: This event is free to attend. Cambridge Network members should book in the usual way by clicking Book Now above. Non-members can register on the Eventbrite page here.
The inaugural mayoral election will elect the Mayor of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, established by the seven local councils across the county. This hustings event provides Cambridge Network and BID members the chance to learn more from the prospective candidates prior to the vote in May.
As part of the devolution deal, the responsibilities of the combined authority will include the following:
- A £600 million budget for local economic growth (£20 million over 30 years)
- A £170 million budget for housing, including affordable and council housing, with £70 million specifically for housing in Cambridge
- Transport infrastructure improvement and maintenance
- Provision of skills training and apprenticeships
- Integration of local health and social care resources
- Integration of local employment services, and design of a National Work and Health Programme alongside the Department for Work and Pensions
The combined authority will be chaired by a directly elected mayor.
We are holding the hustings the day after the nominations close and hope all candidates will be there, chaired by a strong neutral person (Tom Barton of the BBC chaired our last event in the Cambridge Union).
Questions: Please submit your questions in advance to the email address at the top of this page so we can manage the time at the event and cover as many topics as possible.
5pm: Registration over coffee
5.30pm: Introduction by the event Chairman followed by chaired Q&A session
6.30pm: Networking over drinks/ light refreshments
This event is kindly sponsored / supported by:
Who should attend?
Business owners and managers and anyone interested in the future growth of the region.
To register to attend:
- Cambridge Network members: PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO LOG IN FIRST (the Log In button is at the very top of this web page in a grey bar) AND NAVIGATE BACK TO THIS PAGE TO BOOK YOUR PLACE.
- Cambridge BID members: Please register on the Eventbrite page here.
- All others welcome too, please use the Eventbrite page to sign up.
If you would like to hear about other events we run for both members/non-members of Cambridge Network please sign up using this link. We try not to over-mail you, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Cambridge Network is a membership organisation based in the vibrant high technology cluster of Cambridge, UK. We bring people together - from business and academia - to meet each other and share ideas, encouraging collaboration and partnership for shared success.