Conflict Management improves delegates’ ability to facilitate constructive conversations and the exchange of diverse ideas and opinions. This will lead to such organisational benefits as more effective problem resolution, better decision-making, greater innovation, higher quality customer service and generally healthier working relationships.
RiverRhee: Conflict Management
The course is for individuals and managers who want to develop their skills in managing conflict so as to deliver positive outcomes for themselves, their working relationships and their organisation.
The aim of the course is to improve delegates’ ability to facilitate constructive conversations and the exchange of diverse ideas and opinions. This will lead to such organisational benefits as more effective problem resolution, better decision-making, greater innovation, higher quality customer service and generally healthier working relationships.
In an increasingly expanding and challenging environment, a number of factors may get in the way and potentially cause non-productive conflict between individual team members, managers and their external partners. Individual team members and managers may not have the confidence or skills to respond appropriately to how others are expressing themselves. People may be reluctant to express themselves, or not have the skills to do so in a way that is constructive rather than confrontational.
Delegates on the RiverRhee Conflict Management course will learn how to act and respond in conflict situations so that they can not only benefit their organisation but also obtain what they need for their own personal and professional development.
The aims of the course are to:
- Build delegates’ self-awareness and confidence for dealing with conflict
- Help them to better understand and respond to the diversity of their working relationships
- Develop their personal tool-sets and strategies for expressing themselves and for responding to others in potential and actual conflict situations
- Empower the delegates so that they can have a positive impact on the people and organisations that they work with
The course will combine short presentations with discussion and practical exercises to explore the principles and practise the tool-sets and strategies. Delegates will be set some reflective preparation for the course, and will be encouraged to work on their own real examples during the course. They will also be given opportunities for one-to-one conversations with the trainers during and after the course.
1. Building your self-awareness.
- Recognising how you are feeling
- Dealing with the emotions first
2. Calibrating your mind-set
- Recognising how and when conflict can be valuable for individuals and for the team
- Exploring the 'Win-Win':
- Individual authenticity (‘me, myself and I’)
- ‘Storming’ and effective collaboration to build stronger teams
- The 5 positions of conflict
3. Understanding others’ perspective
- How we are different (referencing personality tools such as MBTI and Belbin Team Roles)
- Reasons why others might be ‘being difficult’ (sources of conflict)
4. Developing your tool-set and strategies
- Assertiveness – your default style and how to adjust it
- Defining goals - what is and is not negotiable, ‘chunking up / down’
- Listening to understand
- Other tips for effective communication – Transactional Analysis, avoiding mindreading and making assumptions, speaking from your personal perspective
- Preparing your response (the script) - knowing what you want to say, how you are going to say it and what outcome you are reaching for
- Acting as a mediator for resolving conflict between others 5. Achieving closure and agreeing follow-up
Availability and cost Please get in touch with the training provider at firstname.lastname@example.org, tel +44 (0) 7876 130 817
Creating exceptional managers and teams. Our range of courses, workshops and one-to-one coaching for managers, teams and individual contributors will equip you with the capabilities and confidence to be at your best at work.