A one-day workshop on starting up and working as an independent consultant - designed to familiarise aspiring consultants with all they need to know about setting up and running a consultancy business successfully. The workshop is targeted at people with expertise in scientific, engineering, technical or management fields.
Succeeding in Independent Consultancy: A Step by Step Guide
This one-day workshop provides a step-by-step introduction to the field of independent consultancy for people with extensive scientific or technical background and have worked in the industry, public sector or academia before and now wish to work for themselves. It is interactive and also provides a range of examples, handy templates and information sheets to help the participants to get their business up and running quickly.
Offered by ChemPharmaServe, this course is accredited and approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Attendees need to have considerable experience in their chosen field and be confident that they can offer consultancy services to prospective clients. The course is not limited to chemistry and other scientific or technical experts can also attend and benefit.
Key subjects that will be covered include:
- Gaining insight into pros and cons of working independently
- Constructing a vision of the business, conducting market research and developing a business plan;
- Understanding consultancy compensation models, contracts and fees
- Avoiding costly mistakes before setting up the business
Setting up the Business
- Options for setting up the business, key features and benefits of operating as a sole trader, limited company or partnership
- Selecting a good business name and internet domain name registration
- Building and maintaining business reputation
- Company registration with Companies House and Director’s legal responsibilities
- Bookkeeping, accountancy needs and basic concepts
- Accountancy software and whether to use external accountants
- Setting up a website, business email, phone lines and IT needs
- Work environment; home office or external facility
- Banking and finances
- Taxation and VAT registration
- Professional indemnity insurance (PII)
Operating and Maintaining the Business
- Marketing the business and finding work
- Time allocation and management
- Day-to-day administration of the business, procedures, protocols and forms
- Consultants’ business ethics
- Client satisfaction and maintaining trust
- Continuous professional development (CPD)
- Networking and support for consultants
We support life science organisations by solving their research and development problems.