polkadotfrog are recruiting for a Linux Application Support Engineer with hands-on experience of Linux Operating Systems and associated technologies. You will be providing 2nd and 3rd line support in a very dynamic business environment supporting multiple applications.
Linux Application Support Engineer
Our Cambridge based client are a market leader where you will be working within a forward thinking and evolving environment offering outstanding progression, training and benefits. This is an excellent opportunity to join a team of highly skilled Technical Support Engineers working on exciting projects and supporting a multitude of applications running on varied platforms and advanced technologies.
You will be a highly motivated team player able to deliver and support enterprise wide services to an international audience.
What you’ll be doing
- Deliver world class Linux based platforms enabling our client to operate with high levels of resilience and availability
- Provide expert advice to help Line Management by providing technical information about the capabilities of IT products within the operational support environment, to assess the feasibility of proposed projects to ensure appropriateness of IM solutions and to maintain alignment with the wider technical framework.
- Define, resolve and document problems during implementation of projects in the operational and support environment, to ensure adequate transfer of knowledge to the support technicians.
- Help prepare for implementation of projects in the operational/support environment including evaluation, feasibility, technical investigations, pilots, proofs of concept, training and education.
- Provide second/third line technical support in areas where jobholder possesses unique technical expertise.
The ideal candidate would match the following requirements:
- Demonstrable related work experience in Linux administration, including Red Hat and Debian
- Oracle Database knowledge, data manipulation and reporting is a distinct advantage but not essential
- Strong prioritisation and delegation skills
- Working knowledge of virtualisation technology, using VMware or Hyper-V
- Strong demonstrable knowledge of IIS and Apache Tomcat in a web hosting environment
- Strong knowledge in Active Directory/LDAP, DNS, DHCP
- Understanding of Networking, including firewall and load balancers such a F5 is an advantage
- Demonstrable experience of shell scripting and PowerShell
- An understanding of automation using Puppet is desirable
- A competent understanding of the 3-tier application structure
- Knowledge of Amazon Cloud Platform is desirable