Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, we are looking for an experienced instrument operator to join our clinical laboratory team based in Cambridge, UK.As a member of the Algorithms & Data Software Group, you’ll become part of a diverse and welcoming team using data science to solve real problems. Our in-house knowledge of chemical sensing and detection is world class. It’s a welcoming and highly collaborative workplace: sitting (or standing) side-by-side with colleagues from engineering, chemistry and clinical teams, you will have opportunities to try things out, succeeding or trying again in a supportive system. We use python, jupyter, git, HipChat, Jira, Jenkins and a swathe of other tools to accommodate rapid, flexible and high-quality code development and exploratory analysis.About the JobAt Owlstone, we turn raw data collected from laboratory and non-laboratory environments and scientific instruments into powerful predictive models. This requires extensive signal processing and statistical inference, as well as, a rigorous adherence to the scientific method and critical evaluation of models.Key Tasks / Accountabilities
- Developing fully tested, production quality algorithms using statistical and ML techniques
- Developing models and assessing their predictive power
- Assessing and improving the quality of data
- Suggesting next steps for acquiring more powerful data and features
Competencies & Requirements of the role:Essential
- Experience programming in python in a numerical environment
- A sound practical knowledge of statistics and probability
- Experience applying numerical analysis techniques on real world data
- Experience conveying results effectively through plots and other visualisations
- Experience working in a team environment
- Expertise in numpy/pandas, scipy, and scikit-learn
- Experience with signal processing
- Experience with matplotlib, plotly or seaborn
- Experience as a Scrum Master
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, etc.
- Awareness and experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, BDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
Education & Training
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field
About OwlstoneOwlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease.Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.