We are looking for enthusiastic Graduate Electronics or Embedded System Engineer to join Arm’s Hardware Platform team, who are working at the forefront of embedded design based around Arm IP products.
2020 Graduate Platforms Hardware Engineer
We are responsible for:
- Designing and releasing the latest Arm IP technologies in FPGA image, enabling pre-silicon software and ecosystem development, reducing time to market.
- Creating physical hardware development platforms, based around Arm’s custom system-on-chip (SoC) and FPGAs for software development and validation activities for both our external partners/customers and our internal development teams.
If you’re interested in:
- The potential to work on all aspects of product development, from specification to customer release.
- Eager to learn, a willingness to work across disciplines.
- The challenges of bringing up a new development board.
- Creating and validating Verilog RTL design in FPGA.
- Gaining a deeper understanding of system architecture and performance.
- Working alongside many other teams including system architects, CPU / System IP designers, physical chip layout / packaging engineers.
- Interaction with Arm’s partners and customers both through the support organisation and directly.
Then we have a role for you!
What will I be accountable for?
As a Graduate, you will be placed in a development team at Arm’s offices in Cambridge, UK where you will have a mentor, and be able to get to grips with the problems ranging across many hardware and software areas. You will be working across all aspects of the product lifecycle whilst being supported by and learning from the rest of the team.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need
Essential Skills & Qualities
- A passion for embedded computing that goes beyond your studies
- A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
- Basic understanding of digital and analogue electronics and circuit diagrams
- Knowledge of a leading RISC based computer architecture ideally Arm
- Understanding of FPGAs and HDL (hardware description language, such as Verilog or System-Veriliog) design.
- Comfortable communicating within a small team
- A desire for learning and self-improvement
Desirable Skills and Qualities
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would enhance your application:
- Embedded hardware debug using oscilloscopes
- Programming languages such as: assembly language (ideally Arm assembler), higher-level (e.g. C), object-orientated (e.g. C++)
- Understanding of RTL simulation environments
- Use of a UNIX environment and shell programming/scripting in e.g. Tcl, Perl, Python etc.
- An appreciation of how and why version control software is useful
- An appreciation of some of the ways in which computer architectures differ
- Hands on experience with hardware and software debuggers
- Excellent written and spoken English; can write coherent documentation
How do I stand out?
What additional beneficial extracurricular activities do you participate in whether this be self-study, community participation or volunteering. Examples of this being:
- Projects undertaken outside of formal study, technical and non-technical.
- General interest in new technologies and how Arm fits in.
- What do you want to be doing with your career over the next 5 years?
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.