Sentec, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Graduate Software/Firmware Engineer.
Graduate Software Engineer
At Sentec we apply our knowledge of fundamental science, electronics, software, analytics and design across a wide range of advanced products, both within the Xylem group, and to a number of selected third parties, including some familiar household brands. From brainstorming to prototype to manufacture and production process, our clients benefit from outstanding ideas and class-leading products and services.
We are looking for a new graduate level engineer to work with our multi-disciplinary team on software and firmware projects. These projects range in size from a single engineer working on a single task for a few days to being part of a large multi-site team with our customer. The customer can be another part of the Xylem, creating a product or a third party company who need our expertise.
Our ownership structure provides a unique opportunity: we receive the insights, challenges, global view, and stability of a large corporation, we are left to operate in a small-company, agile, innovative manner to deliver solutions – which ultimately have a commercial route to market through our parent company – giving our team the unique position of seeing their innovations being deployed in real commercial products. Sentec innovations are making important contributions to some of today’s key social and global resource issues – for example, there are now over 15 million smart city assets incorporating Sentec technology deployed around the world, enabling the management of energy and water resources.
We hire bright, thoughtful and motivated individuals, and recognise that our success as an organisation depends on creating an environment where great employees can thrive. Teams are fluid, and individuals are trusted to take on stretching work within a supportive environment that emphasises the importance of strong communication and knowledge sharing. The fast-paced, project-based environment provides opportunities for motivated people to get involved in all aspects of delivery and to develop into new technical areas
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Writing software/firmware in a language appropriate to the project. Languages we frequently use are:
- C for embedded software
- Python for scripting, testing and tools
- C# for Windows based GUI applications
- Using appropriate development environments for the project to test and debug code
- Using industry standard tools for version control and issue tracking
- Collaborating with other teams members locally and at remote sites
- Working with the business development team to sell projects and develop leads
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Degree level qualification in a relevant subject e.g. engineering, computer science
- Experience of writing software in C or a derivative from either work experience or hobby work.
- Creativity and problem solving skills
- The ability to present work and ideas to the team
- Experience in Python or another scripting language
- Experience of version control systems e.g. git
- Experience of issue tracking systems e.g. jira
- Interest in testing and automation
- The ability to present work and ideas to a wider group