We’re looking for a talented software test engineer to join our expanding web development team, and help shape the way that RealVNC tests its web applications.
Software Test Engineer (Web Applications)
RealVNC is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) city centre. As the original developers of VNC remote-access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies, such as Intel, IBM, NASA, Shell, DreamWorks and Phillips. We have also recently launched deskhop, a service that allows simple and secure screen sharing with friends on Facebook.
We have a number of web applications that need testing, including the RealVNC website, the deskhop web application, internal sales and business systems, and some exciting future projects that we aren't quite ready to talk about yet!
Although you’ll report to the Test Manager and be part of the company-wide test team, you’ll be the sole tester working alongside our web developers. You’ll be able to set your own direction for web testing, use whatever mix of manual and automated tests you feel are appropriate, develop any frameworks or procedures that you need to get a good quality product, and get involved in every stage from requirements to regression.
This role might suit someone looking to move into a team leadership role, but who still wants to get their hands dirty with real testing and technology.
- You have a passion for technology and the ability to pick up things up quickly. You like to understand how things work, and can use that knowledge to find weak points that others may miss
- You’ve got some previous experience of testing web sites or web-based applications
- You’re confident using Linux, and have played with a couple of different operating systems in the past
- You’re used to managing your own workload, setting your own direction, and applying the right amount of testing at the right time
- You’re able to communicate technical ideas clearly, with excellent written and spoken English
- You can pick up new skills quickly, and are interested in learning more about:
o Back-end web technologies (e.g. HTTP, TLS/SSL, REST, SQL, etc.)
o Web application security)
- You have a good degree (or other relevant qualification)
This is a unique opportunity to work for a stable and successful Cambridge-based company with a world-famous brand and a lot of potential.
If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. It will include a competitive salary and generous benefits, including a contributory pension, childcare vouchers, and private dental and medical care.
It’s a full-time post, but we believe in a healthy work / life balance, so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday – Friday). That being said, some flexibility might be needed.
How to apply
If you want more information, or want to apply for this vacancy, send us a CV and covering letter by clicking apply now below. Make sure you quote reference TE23 to help it get to the right people!
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and if you’re invited to interview you’ll be requested to provide proof of your eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
We will not consider agency applications for this post.