Transform your career with RealVNC™ and join our successful, forward thinking team.
Software Engineer (Java J2SE Web Applications)
RealVNC is a highly successful software company based in Cambridge (UK) City Centre. As the original developers of VNC® remote access technology our software is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide from the non-technical home user to IT professionals from global companies such as Intel, IBM and Philips.
You’ll be working with our cloud-based technology that lets people share their screen without a lot of unnecessary network configuration. This technology already powers our deskhop application, and we’re looking to broaden its reach.
Our cloud services are written in Java to be highly available and scalable. We’re building additional web APIs and applications to enable these services to be used across our product range, and more. You’d be involved in developing these web applications and services, working at multiple levels of the technology stack.
This is an excellent opportunity to get involved with a technology that cuts across a wide range of products and vertical markets. The work is interesting and challenging and you will be expected to make a full and significant contribution whilst working with the inventors of VNC technology on world-class solutions.
- You have Java (J2SE) development experience
- You’ve got experience of asynchronous / event-driven programming models and know how to make appropriate use of concurrency primitives
- You’ve developed web-based systems before and appreciate the value of a well-designed API
- You’ve got strong problem-solving skills and you play great attention to detail
- You appreciate that good design and security are not afterthoughts
- You know how to use SQL and relational databases
- You’re able to communicate technically complex ideas in excellent written and spoken English
- You’ve got a good computer science or similar relevant degree (or equivalent qualification)
As well as the above, if you have experience with any of the following then we’d love to hear about it!
- experience using frameworks such as Spring and Play
- familiarity with any languages other than Java
- exposure to modelling languages such as UML
- experience with the Linux command line
This role offers a unique opportunity to join a stable and successful Cambridge-based company with a world-famous brand and a lot of potential. If you’re successful, you’ll be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. It will include a competitive salary and generous benefits, including a contributory pension, childcare vouchers, and private dental and medical care.
This is a full time post but we believe in a healthy work/life balance so it’s 35 hours per week (Monday – Friday), although flexibility may sometimes be required.
How to apply
Please click on the below Apply Now button with your CV and covering letter and make sure you quote the reference J2SE1 in your covering letter to help get it to the right people!
RealVNC has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and candidates invited to interview are requested to provide proof of their eligibility to work.
RealVNC is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
We will not consider agency applications for this post.