AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
Associate Scientist I / II
Do you feel passionate about the possibilities of science to change lives?
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we are opening up new ways to work, ground-breaking methods and bringing outstanding teams together.
As an Associate Scientist in the Downstream team of the Flu-MS&T department, you'll participate in the support of commercial manufacturing of seasonal vaccine strains, you will also chip in to many projects, generating high quality, accurate data. Ideally, you will have considerable experience in biopharmaceutical drug substance process development or manufacture.
Duties & responsibilities;
- You'll be confident in handling challenging tasks to develop new downstream purification techniques such as filtration (including normal and tangential flow techniques) and ultracentrifugation
- Maintain awareness of new technologies, through current technical and scientific literature, contacts with suppliers and attendance of conferences and symposia
- Selection and development of new techniques including the design of in-house technology
- Collaborate with our sites in the UK and elsewhere as well as with external functions (including academia and suppliers)
- Contribute and lead our multi-functional projects, including communication of experimental data in a timely manner to project teams and other partners
- Provide technical support to Technical Services, Manufacturing, Quality Control, Quality Assurance and other groups during investigations
- Liaise and lead Downstream Flu-MS&T activities
- Provide technical training and underpinning knowledge training to other staff
- May represent the company at regulatory inspections (including FDA & MHRA) and respond to questions
- May prepare, provide information or review regulatory documentation to support company responses to any requests from regulatory agencies
Skills & Experience
- Considerable experience and knowledge of biopharmaceutical drug substance production techniques in order to support manufacturing and develop or evaluate downstream purification technologies
- Great teammate with excellent organization, record keeping, oral/written communication, attention to detail and data analysis skills
- Familiar with the Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Familiar with standard process development laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- Knowledge of analytical testing requirements of biopharmaceutical manufacturing processes
- Experience with good laboratory practice, experimental design and statistical analysis including Design of Experiments
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practice, particularly manufacturing practices and quality systems
- Educated to BSc, MSc or MEng level in a relevant life sciences subject
This is a phenomenal opportunity to join a very hardworking team, who will bring the best out of standout colleagues, and those with a dream to succeed.
Competitive remuneration and company benefits apply
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applications for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.