AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
Director, Emerging Portfolio Strategy Oncology
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, ground-breaking and ground-breaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
The Oncology therapy area at AstraZeneca is unparalleled. We have built and strategically acquired one of the most promising Oncology pipelines in the industry. You will be among inspiring oncology industry leaders who will keep you engaged and empower you to be the best. We seek out opportunities to do dynamic and significant work which means we won't just follow the same course of action time and again if we can see potential in a different way of building life changing medicine.
We have an exciting opportunity to work in the Global Strategy Team of the Oncology Business Unit (OBU) as the Director, Emerging Portfolio Strategy, Oncology; an opportunity to use your scientific knowledge and strategic analysis skill to influence decisions that will have a direct impact on patients’ lives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working with a team of experts across early stage research and development functions, you will create and implement strategies to deliver an exciting and innovative oncology pipeline. You will drive the collection of meaningful, timely, and accurate data from a wide range of internal and external sources and perform detailed analyses. Your analysis and strategic advice will drive the long-term strategy for early stage projects across science units and will be the foundation for investment decisions.
Your responsibilities will also encompass the provision of market assessments, revenue forecasts and asset valuations for portfolio investment decisions and resource planning, based on market research and competitor analysis. To achieve this, it is critical that you possess strong consultative and communication skills; as well as the ability to formulate cohesive strategic arguments and respectfully challenge a group of experts. This requires effective stakeholder and relationship management skills with the ability to interact and build trusted relationships with all levels of employees, including senior leadership.
The role will require moderate global travel (Medical congress, Advisory boards and key internal meetings).
Strong scientific backgrounds and strategic thinking skills are critical for the success of the role. Candidates from a wide range of prior experiences are encouraged to apply. Examples include, but are not limited to, oncology R&D, biopharma consulting, pharmaceutical investment banking, and more. In all cases, you must be a critical thinker with experience of identifying and driving key projects and providing researched, verified, relevant information to leaders.
You will have experience of:
- Analysis and fact-based decision-making;
- Working with data and/or a science research/ bio-pharmaceutical environment;
You will be:
- A strong strategic thinker with the judgement, and skills to influence R&D and ensure strong commercial focus, set direction, generate commitment as well as balance short and long term needs;
- Very familiar with the drug development process and necessary strategic and commercial touch points.
- Understanding of general business and core marketing principles and application to future healthcare market challenges;
- Highly intellectually capable with agility and adaptability;
- Able to influence without authority and establish and maintain credibility with senior audiences;
- Resourceful, motivated, decisive and proactive; must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-growing organization;
- Educated to PhD level
- Experience of setting up short and long term strategic plans;
- Understanding of clinical data and clinical trial design;
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.