AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
R2R Data & Master Data Lead - 12 months secondment/FTC
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energised and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Our finance function is undergoing a transformation journey with a significant focus on the Record to Report process. Whilst a dedicated finance transformation programme is under way with significant resources delivering a number of in flight projects, the R2R Global Process Owner (GPO) team has been instrumental in developing a vision and roadmap for change.
We are working closely with the Finance Transformation project, adopting a ‘one team’ mentality. The initial focus is on standardisation and simplification. Our focus will then change to optimising the process and driving an automation agenda.
In this role you will be reporting to the Record to Report GPO. The GPO team reports to the Group Controller and supports users across the world, including: Group Financial Reporting, Global Business Services, Marketing companies, and Operations. We operate in a truly global capacity. You will focus on improving AstraZeneca`s data and master data quality to increase our ability to get it ‘right first time’. Poor data and master data quality leads to slow and potentially inaccurate reporting. It also leads to a high volume of manual journals which slows down the close and can lead to tax inefficiencies.
You can have a significant impact on AstraZeneca`s ability to complete a faster quality close. Put simply, it’s an opportunity to make your skills count as part of a world-leading pharmaceutical company!
Key role accountabilities:
- Data custodian for our Global Chart of Accounts
- Analyse issues raised in audit reports and suggest remedies
- Monitor data and master data quality across the end-to-end R2R landscape
- Review and revise our practices to ensure full compliance with all statutory requirements, policies and procedures as they relate to data and master data
- Feed suggestions into the R2R roadmap, supporting the overall vision.
- Build an external network to understand what the best standards are and understanding our gaps against that
- Support BAU data & master data projects and initiatives
Current projects that need support include (not an extensive list):
- Chart of account standard (policy) including documentation, process and performance monitoring dashboards
- Data quality improvement initiatives supporting new Statutory Reporting and Management reporting system implementations
- Support additional master data dimensions being standardised
- FX project – supporting treasury to reduce our FX exposure through master data configuration
- Mapping of purchasing categories through to GL codes
- Cash tax reporting project
- SOX controls
- Governance meetings
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Strong controllership experience
- Ability to lead multiple projects effectively
- Experience in writing, deploying and / or monitoring adherence to policies.
- Experience of finance transformation projects
- Experience of building business cases stating quantifiable and qualitative benefits
- Understanding of control environment
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and gain agreement with key partners.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Shown success in building cross-functional global networks and partner management
- Strong analytical skills
- Understanding and execution of best-in-class finance practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Oral and written fluency in Business English
- Professional accounting qualification
- Experience of implementing significant business change across different national and business boundaries
- Significant work experience in finance function
- You will have specific industry and process experience and experience of working in an R2R GPO function
- Previous experience in working in a SOX environment
- Having worked in a complex multi-national organisation is a plus
Primary location for this role is Cambridge, UK but we are able to consider other locations for exceptional candidates.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.