AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
Research Scientist (AS I/II), Protein Expression and Characterisation
At AstraZeneca, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s best-in-class biotechnology companies, our mission is centred on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease.
As a Research Scientist within the Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering team at Cambridge, UK you will play a pivotal role in making and testing novel therapeutic molecules. We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering creative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines.
AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters teamwork and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working as part of the multifunctional team, you would be responsible for expression and characterisation of recombinant proteins to support technology development and projects across our therapeutic areas. Responsibilities include the use of automation and optimising methods to produce 100-1000’s of proteins per week. Additionally, you will also get involved with the biophysical and functional characterisation of these proteins. By interacting with project teams and key partners you will present emerging data to various groups.
- MSc, or BSc with equivalent experience, in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline.
- Molecular biology (PCR, restriction enzyme cloning, vector manipulation)
- Experience of tissue culture and protein expression and purification (preferably automated/semi-automated) including protein assays, SDS-PAGE, Demonstrated ability of protein expression in bacterial or mammalian cells and generation of cell lines using various methodologies.
- Ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication skills with effective presentation of work and data (e.g. via written reports and oral presentations).
- Experience of working within an industrial environment.
- Demonstrated evidence of working successfully in a mulit-disciplinary project team
- HPLC; application of Biacore or other biosensor type method; Evidence of innovation
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be an excellent fit, please share this posting with them.
Competitive remuneration and company benefits apply
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applications for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law