Cambridge Design Partnership is a leading technology and product design partner focused on helping your business grow. Some of the world’s largest companies trust us to develop their most important innovations. We specialise in the healthcare, consumer, energy and industrial equipment markets where our sector leaders have the expert knowledge to embrace the opportunities and solve the challenges you face.
Consultant Sensory and Consumer Insight Researcher
We are seeking a dynamic and self-motivated consumer insight professional to work within our Front-End Innovation (FEI) team in a key cross-functional, and cross-sector role that will deliver actionable affective design recommendations to our design team, and to clients throughout both formative and validatory research activity; your work will inform and define new product, packaging, and service development activity for clients ranging from pioneering start-ups to global $bn brands.
The experience of our existing team, exciting global client pipeline and in-house facilities will provide you with a platform for pushing the boundaries of sensory research, creating new ways of eliciting and structuring sensory insight, and driving faster and more cost-effective methods for achieving and validating actionable, affective design outcomes.
It is likely you have worked extensively with the food and beverage, and fast-moving-consumer-goods industries in an agency or in-house capacity, eliciting, evaluating, and parameterising multi-sensory and technical insight that you successfully translate into detailed product and packaging attributes and specifications.
Responsibilities will include working closely with our multi-disciplinary innovation team, sector and key account leaders to develop bespoke research solutions for global consumer and healthcare businesses that have a specialist sensory research dimension and help creatively enhance solutions that have been defined by traditional research methodologies, through deploying your extensive knowledge of affective drivers.
A key challenge will be helping clients to translate their business objectives into research objectives, agree critical success factors and develop the best methodology to get under the skin of the opportunity and provide the robust evidence upon which to make innovation decisions. In addition to leading qualitative and quantitative insights projects, you will have moderated research using techniques such as Kansei Engineering, sensory profiling, product mapping, sensory concept testing, and linking acceptance to sensory characteristics. It is likely you will also have worked with trained sensory panels.
Your challenge is to help develop new business and offer complementary services which will continue to grow this specialist area for CDP, delivering FEI projects that in most instances continue into full product and packaging development programs.
- Higher degree in Marketing, Psychology or Social Sciences, Design, Engineering or Business discipline, 2:1 or above.
- Extensive experience to include planning, pitching and leading global insight research collaborations with senior R&D and marketing executives in global branded consumer goods companies
- Experienced in a broad range of standard qual/quant market research industry methodologies, as well demonstrable evidence of using sensory and affective research techniques to develop actionable marketing/design/R&D recommendations and specifications
- Possess the drive and experience to work both independently and with our team of researchers, strategists, designers, and technologists to undertake project delivery, as well as support business development activities, and represent our business at industry events, and through marketing collateral and thought-leadership.
- Implicit understanding of brand equity, and brand influences on the customer journey and experience
- Natural aptitude for spotting future trends, creating commercial opportunities based on market intelligence, and talking with prospective clients
- Collaboratively contribute to the ongoing development of CDP’s ‘Research for Innovation’ offer by creating complementary sensory research and design products and services
- An understanding of how sensory experience contributes to complementary disciplines such as UX and service design would be advantageous.
- Great presentation and moderation skills, an effective communicator, and ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team to aggressive timescale and with strict attention to quality.
- Willingness to travel regularly (nationally and internationally) to support global fieldwork, business development, and relevant industry activities.
We look after you:
We are an employee owned company with our staff at the centre of our strategy. Employee ownership allows us to maintain full control over the direction of our business and our creative culture. Our offices are based in a beautiful rural location close to Cambridge where we offer an exciting and challenging working environment.
We hire people with a genuine enthusiasm and curiosity for engineering and science so if you’re the type of person who fills their spare time designing and making things, then we’d love to know.
In return for your hard work and insightful ideas, you receive a competitive salary, discretionary bonus, 12% non-contributory pension, private healthcare and 25 days holiday.