We’re looking for an experienced Senior Manager with a background in electronics, physics, software or a related engineering discipline to join our Cambridge based team and lead the development of high reliability optical switching systems and their transfer into series production.
Head of Engineering
About the Role
HUBER+SUHNER Polatis is the world’s leading manufacturer of high performance all-optical switch solutions for software-defined optical networks, enabling dynamic connectivity directly at the fibre layer in telecom, datacentre, test, video and secure applications. Due to rapid growth in our optical switch deployments worldwide, we are now seeking a Head of Engineering to lead development of our products and ensure their smooth transfer into production.
In this key role, you will be part of the senior management team, working closely with the CTO, maintaining an overview of technological trends and contributing to the product road map. You will be responsible for the multi-disciplinary engineering team, ensuring that product development projects are executed in line with the product road map and helping to shape the culture in order to achieve the best results. You will strive to deepen engineering capabilities through training and recruitment and by developing the next generation of leaders.
With a thorough understanding of all our core competences – software, hardware, mechanical, optical and production engineering – you will work effectively across the business, building good relationships with key people and ensuring close co-operation with your peers as well as other departments within the company.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Managing and delivering product development projects in line with the H+S product evolution process
- Achieving all necessary tasks in order to fulfil the requirements for the development and maintenance of the H+S Polatis product portfolio
- Providing feasibility studies, cost estimates, capacity planning and timetables for development projects and initiatives
- Developing and contributing to company and departmental strategies, together with evolution of the product portfolio
- Maintaining and enhancing the quality and capabilities of the product development organization through use of current, best practice technologies, design tools and methodologies
- Developing a multi-disciplinary engineering team with deep expertise in diverse technologies, providing the leadership necessary to ensure the team meets its objectives
- Maintaining a good balance between creativity and process discipline within the engineering organization
- Representing the company at exhibitions and congresses
To be successful, you’ll need to be qualified to at least degree level in electronics, physics, software or related engineering discipline with substantial experience of electronics systems engineering, ideally in telecommunications or aerospace industries at a senior / management level.
A self-starter, you’ll be skilled at managing programmes in an agile, fast-paced environment and familiar with all aspects of product lifecycle management and the design review process. You’ll also have an excellent track record of successfully delivering complex technical projects and a good knowledge of reliability engineering and design for manufacture.
Employee development is a key part of this role so proven experience in leading, coaching and mentoring and building high performing teams is a must.
You’ll also need to be confident, concise and convincing in both your written and oral presentations.
We offer a friendly and informal work environment in a prime location on the Cambridge Science Park, a competitive salary and annual bonus scheme, plus a range of benefits including private health care, a generous non-contributory pension scheme, health shield cash back plan, and cycle to work scheme.
Join a World Class Team
HUBER+SUHNER Polatis is the world’s leading manufacturer of high performance all-optical cross-connect solutions for software-defined network provisioning, protection, monitoring, reconfiguration and test. Our dependable, field-proven DirectLight™ SDN-enabled optical circuit switch technology delivers outstanding performance and reliability to provide dynamic fibre layer connectivity for mission-critical applications in telecommunications, data centre, government, test and video networks.