- Do you have a strong high-volume electronics manufacturing and product quality background?
- Are you comfortable giving senior leaders advice on how best to get products that are both high quality and highly innovative to market?
- Would you like to provide leadership at all stages of new product development from initial product strategy, though generating novel ideas, to manufacturing ramp-up?
- If so, come and help drive the next phase of growth in our world-leading technology and consulting team.
Leader – High Volume Electronic Product Development
Main purpose of the job
You will be involved throughout all stages of work for our clients. On early stage engagements you will provide guidance on the business implications of different options for achieving a high-quality final product, as well as reviewing and critically assessing potential partners. You will provide input into the product development process by contributing your own ideas based on insight into the manufacturing implications of novel processes. You will be able to review and improve designs with a view to improving manufacturability and reduce cost, and you will direct and review the approach being taken to finding, qualifying and ramping up volume manufacturing partners.
You will be able to help define the best approach for validation of entire product ecosystems, including FMEA and risk identification / management and statistical modelling of failure rates and product life based on reliability testing. You will work with development teams to define the direction of the testing activities from the requirements, including hardware component-level test, software test, manufacturing / supplier test, reliability test, compliance test and failure analysis.
Although your primary experience will be in electronics manufacturing, you are likely to have significant experience of overall high volume product manufacture, not just the electronic aspects of those products.
Type of work undertaken by Division
Cambridge Consultants creates technology, products and services that generate a step-change in business benefit for our clients. We offer a unique mix of strategic technology consultancy, early-stage science-led innovation, product design, and new product introduction and manufacturing scale-up.
Our technical work spans a broad range of disciplines, from sensors and applied science, through software and electro-mechanical design, to user-centric product design, all working to make our clients’ businesses more successful.
We would welcome applications from a broad range of candidates who meet our minimum requirements and who are excited by the description above. We do not have a set job specification. Depending on the candidate specific responsibilities are likely to include:
- Understanding our clients’ business needs at senior management levels and translating these into implications for our development work from a product quality and manufacturing viewpoint.
- Defining the development and testing / verification strategy for high volume electronic products (typically consumer electronics) from early stage, proof of concept, through to high-volume new product introduction and manufacturing ramp-up.
- Understanding end-user/customer needs from a quality and manufacturing viewpoint, for example by working as part of a team to turn ‘user stories’ into product requirements and end-product validation testing strategies.
- Providing overall direction for the creation of test plans from requirements involving hardware component-level testing as well as software testing and developing automated test systems
- Defining and auditing supplier quality and test mechanisms, and reviewing failure analyses
- Using your personal experience and credibility to build relationships with senior management within the manufacturing and operations areas of existing and new client organisations, including leading the delivery of some projects in a senior client-facing role.
- Developing and expanding our broader team to improve manufacturing business understanding.
- Act as a senior leader within the division, driving a collaborative culture and maximising the potential of our client relationships.
- Very significant experience of high-volume new product introduction, quality, test and validation, including having had a leading role in successfully getting several high-volume products from early stage concept through to volume manufacture. (Although the role is primarily focussed on consumer electronics, we would welcome applicants with relevant and transferable high-volume experience, e.g. automotive)
- Thorough and practical understanding of process improvement methods (e.g. Lean Six Sigma)
- Experience with defining verification/test strategies: including design of experiments, statistical process control methods and theory, life and failure rate predictions. Experience of defining ‘test-to-failure’/HALT and HASS/HAST methods, and in interpreting their results would be highly beneficial.
- Experience with compliance, certification, and safety testing (FCC, UL, CE, UN DOT, etc.)
- Ability to communicate clearly and credibly – orally and in writing - with senior managers in manufacturing roles at our clients and potential clients.
- A pragmatic, collaborative and open-minded approach to problem solving and the adoption of novel solutions.
- A good degree in a relevant technical or scientific discipline.
- Experience of financial analysis and business planning, for example gained as a product manager, would be a valuable addition to the above requirements.