Main purpose of the job
We are looking for a Computer Scientist to work on Cambridge Consultants’ product development projects, where you will design, write and consult on software for complex systems. This will involve working with other engineers as part of multidisciplinary project teams, for a wide variety of clients and markets.
Type of work undertaken by group and division
Cambridge Consultants undertakes over 250 cutting edge technology projects every year. The Products and Systems Division undertakes development projects in different markets:
- Consumer product development, including fitness products and domestic appliances
- Industrial and Energy, including robotics and logistics systems, home automation, energy systems, and precision agriculture
- Defence and Security, including authentication, location, radar and government work
You will be a member of the Software Technologies group, which covers a broad spectrum of software engineering and computer science skills, from real time and embedded software for standalone or connected devices through to web and data services. The group designs ground breaking products for global blue chip clients through to start-ups
Example projects from a few years work by one of our graduates within the software group : a personal activity monitor, an avionics ground station, custom RF protocol drivers, through-wall radar, a reversing aid for cars, a wristband payment device, bayesian inference for airbags, an in-building location system, an animal tracking system, software for characterising inhaler powder flow, a mobile handset MAC layer, medical record privacy solutions, and a smartphone-enabled beverage dispensing system.
There will be the opportunity to further your career not just technically, but also in the fields of creating new business, programme management, and innovation – essential ingredients in delivering commercial value.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Design and Implementation of software subsystems on one or more projects at once
- Maintenance of interfaces between your code and hardware or remote systems, and the code of other software engineers on the team
- Delivering high quality, professional code, compliant with the client’s requirements
- Executing project tasks to tight deadlines and rigorous quality standards within the timescales and budgets agreed with the project manager
- Taking responsibility to ensure that your software is robust and complies with the specification
- Participating in meetings with clients. Depending on project work there may be the opportunity for international travel for meetings or workshops.
To meet the requirements of this role you will have
- An excellent degree and/or PhD in computer science or related discipline
- An imaginative and inquisitive mind, eager to learn new skills and develop solutions for complex problems
- Understanding of one or more software build systems, source control, and development tools
- Excellent communication skills
Any of the following experience would be advantageous:
- Experience of using CI systems for automated test
- Experience of production quality software implementation in embedded C
- Data system engineering, dealing with large databases or algorithms on server systems
- Working to regulatory standards such as ISO 13485
- Android/iOS app development skills
- Digital security or cryptography skills
- Interest/experience in low power RF protocols for connected devices, or infrastructure and services for connected devices
Why Cambridge Consultants?
Cambridge Consultants creates exciting and novel breakthroughs in technology and products. We help our clients achieve the kind of game-changing leap forward that will transform their whole business.
At the heart of what we do are talented and motivated multi-disciplinary teams empowered to create cutting edge technologies and systems to solve difficult problems for our clients.
We recognise and celebrate individual talent and we understand the importance of letting individuals be just that. Our people are here to do the best work of their lives and our job is to provide the platform for them to do it. That means letting people pursue the projects that interest them and develop their career in whatever direction they choose.
We’re committed to promoting a diverse workplace. We believe that diversity can only flourish when everyone feels included and has a sense of belonging.
We value all people regardless of gender, age, disability, race, ethnic origin, parental status, language, religion, marital status or sexual orientation.
For information about the interview process at Cambridge Consultants, please see here: https://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/careers/what-expect