About Tier 2 Consulting
Based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, Tier 2 works in partnership with our customers to understand their business challenges, and deliver custom software solutions using modern, open-source, cloud-native technology and an agile project approach.
We are full-stack Java developers, middleware consultants, and Red Hat Middleware and OpenShift experts.
We became the first Red Hat Premier JBoss Middleware Solutions Partner for the UK & Ireland in 2014, an award based on proven skills and experience, as certified by Red Hat. Our project development teams work closely with our customers to deliver software using an agile approach, based on SCRUM, and adapted to meet the governance requirements of many organisations.
Reporting to the Managing Consultant of our Middleware Practice, the Middleware Developer/Consultant will perform a key role in helping our customers design, develop and deploy custom solutions using standards-based Java technology and frameworks, and leading Red Hat Middleware technologies. Although all underpinned by technical expertise, the assignments will be many and varied, and will include, for example:
- Architecture, design and development of integration solutions using Red Hat Fuse / Camel, deployed either on customer’s premises or on Red Hat’s OpenShift Container Platform;
- Architecture and design of deployment topologies for Red Hat middleware products, including JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, Red Hat Fuse, Red Hat AMQ, Red Hat Process Application Manager and Red Hat Decision Manager;
- Installation and configuration of Red Hat middleware products;
- Performing health-checks on customer Red Hat middleware environments, helping to diagnose issues and performance problems, and ensuring that environments are configured according to recognised best practices;
- Planning and running technical skills transfer workshops for customer development, operations and DevOps teams;
- Migrating applications running on other middleware platforms (e.g. WebSphere, Wildfly) to Red Hat supported versions.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- At least 3 years of Java development in an enterprise environment, including:
- Core Java;
- Enterprise Java technologies such as JDBC, JMS, JPA, and JTA;
- Logging frameworks such as Log4j, SLF4J, and LOGBack;
- Testing frameworks such as JUnit, Mockito, Cucumber, and Spock;
- Build tools such as Maven or Gradle;
- At least 2 years developing using Spring frameworks, including:
- Spring Core;
- Spring Boot;
- Spring Data;
- Spring Security;
- Exposure to associated languages such as JSON, XML, XPATH, YAML, and SQL;
- Exposure to both Windows and Linux operating systems;
- Ability to design and develop REST and SOAP web services;
- An understanding of Enterprise Integration Patterns, ideally with some experience of Camel / Red Hat Fuse development;
- Use of testing tools such as JMeter, Selenium, and SoapUI;
- Practical experience of deploying to web or application platforms, such as Tomcat, JBoss EAP, WildFly or WebSphere;
- Use of standard DevOps tools such as Git, Jenkins, TeamCity, Ansible, etc;
- Use of monitoring tools such as Kibana, Nagios, Grafana, Prometheus, etc.
The following skills would also be an advantage:
- Experience of installing or administering web or application platforms, especially in clustered environments;
- Experience installing or administering ActiveMQ;
- Experience with networking components such as software or hardware load balancers;
- Experience deploying applications to cloud environments such as Red Hat OpenShift or Docker, particularly if using automated CI / CD pipelines.
The successful candidate must:
- Be educated to degree level – preferably in Computer Science, or a mathematics-based subject;
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Be able to work independently, as well as part of a larger Tier 2 or customer team;
- Be adaptable in the roles they may be asked to perform on assignments – for example, working in a customer-facing consultative role, as well as within a Tier 2 development team;
- Have worked within an agile development environment, using tools such as Jira and Confluence;
- Have the flexibility to work on customer sites throughout the UK & Ireland, and potentially mainland Europe. Consultancy assignments tend to be short term (5-10 days); longer development project assignments – typically in London – may be several months;
- Have a desire to be an expert in our chosen technology stack, keeping up-to-date with the latest developments. This will include self-study if required, although full training, leading to recognised certifications, will be provided.
- Exposure to a variety of industry sectors would also be an advantage.