Job Title: Research Scientist
Schlumberger Cambridge Research (SCR)
Location: Cambridge, UK
Job Application Opening Date 5th September 2019
Job Application Closing Date 3rd October 2019
We are seeking a talented, creative scientist to work in multidisciplinary teams charged with creating novel drilling technologies and techniques to access and enable development of hydrocarbon reservoirs. Achieving reservoir access often involves drilling and navigating through geometrically complex, extended conduits in sometimes unpredictable physical environments to reach targets more than 10 km from the drilling rig. Reaching the reservoir requires overcoming challenges in materials science for rock destruction, in geomechanics for hole stability, and in the physics and mechanics of complex interactions in dynamic systems.
- Using commercially available, or creating new, finite element analysis software to develop novel cutting structures for rock formations in our innovation programme for drilling technologies.
- Working in a multidisciplinary team using finite element analysis, analytical models and experimental techniques in researching and developing instrumented hardware solutions.
- Generates new ideas and articulates them to technology and management teams at the highest company level and to external industry and academic groups.
- Helps develop the ideas through to commercialization.
- Takes an active role in generation of intellectual property.
- PhD degree in physics, engineering, or a related discipline (recently graduated or graduating this year)
- Alternatively, MSc degree and industry experience in Finite Element analysis
- Capable of generating novel research solutions
- Expert in finite element analysis
- Strong analytical skills in applied mechanics
The Schlumberger Cambridge Research Centre offers a stimulating research environment with real-world problems that push the limits of scientific knowledge. We are committed to be at the leading edge of science and to incorporate new emerging technologies in Schlumberger’s activities. To achieve that we recruit the most talented scientists from a variety of scientific and engineering backgrounds and give them opportunities to advance their fields of expertise as well as to develop solutions of significant industrial impact.
The Schlumberger Cambridge Research Centre strongly encourages the self-development of its scientists, offers high-end experimental facilities and scientific resources, and maintains strong collaborations with academic and industrial research groups worldwide.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £40,000 to £50,000 per annum based on experience
Please email you CV to: SCRRecruit@slb.com