AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
Communications Manager - External
Location: Luton with some UK travel
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together.
We win through science, it’s at the heart of our every success. That science is only possible when we all work together – we’ll always make sure you’re clear about how your role is connected to our wider mission to really show what science can do.
Main duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the External Communications Lead, you will understand the UK Marketing Company (UKMC) brand/therapy area needs and advise on how external communications can help meet business objectives, develop and execute strategic communications projects and campaigns, work with external advocates and agencies where applicable, as part of a cross-functional AZ team. You will work with External Communications and the wider External Affairs team, to transform how the UKMC communicates externally, demonstrating the value of external communications and the opportunities for further development within the evolving communications environment. In addition, you will be adept at managing communications issues and ensure compliance with all AZ Standard Operating Procedures and the ABPI Code.
- You will deliver the brand and external comms priorities by leading on the development and delivery of insight-based, creative external communication activities that deliver against business objectives, enhance AstraZeneca’s reputation and maximise return on investment; curate an understanding of the wider environment that the UKMC and specific therapy area/ brands operate in, to enable external communications to help tackle challenges in line with business objectives
- Build internal relationships where needed and provide expert advice and counsel on communications needs/opportunities, whilst developing a variety of communications tools and assets that resonate with target audiences, with a focus on creativity and simplifying complex information
- Build relationships with external stakeholders including healthcare professionals, patient groups and patients
- Support on issues management and lead on specific projects when required
- Work with third party agencies when needed, maintaining an effective working relationship, completing projects on time and on budget
- Demonstrate flexibility as a team player, as part of a busy external communications function
- In addition, you will support the ongoing transformation of how the UKMC communicates externally and, as part of the external communications and wider External Affairs team, drive a transformation in how the UKMC communicates externally – to bring the function up-to-date and move towards the cutting edge, with a particular focus on social media and excellence in traditional media engagement
- Degree level of education or equivalent
- Proven experience of working in external communications in a healthcare/pharma setting
- Demonstrable UK experience
- Proven ability to influence colleagues and senior leaders across organisations
- The ability to utilise channels for business benefit within resource limits
- Delegate effectively and manage 3rd parties to deliver
- Work under pressure and prioritise accordingly and
- Motivate and lead in a multi-disciplinary, multi-faceted business
- Relevant experience in other business sectors would be desirable
- PR agency background
- Policy/Corporate comms background