Illumina is a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of next generation life science tools and integrated systems for large-scale analysis of genetic variation and biological function. These systems are enabling studies that were not even imaginable just a few years ago, and moving us closer to the realization of personalized medicine. With the innovative advances in our sequencing technologies, we are rapidly impacting the clinical market in areas such as reproductive health and oncology. The expanding Illumina oncology portfolio of next-generation sequencing NGS and microarray technologies is revolutionizing cancer genomics research. Our customers include a broad range of academic, government, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other leading institutions around the globe.
Based in our brand-new European Headquarters just south of Cambridge we require a Chemist to join our Technology Development department as a parental leave cover Material / Polymer Chemistry.
We currently have multiple roles open at the moment including both permanent and 12-month contract.
*When applying please provide a covering letter to confirm if you are interested in the Permanent or 12 month contract, or both*
As part of the Materials and Applied Surface Science group, you will play an integral role in developing new sequencing and array technologies and related applications. As the company moves fast so does the technology we use, the candidate will have to be adaptable to a wide range of techniques and methods used in life-sciences.
- Ability to work on novel materials design, supramolecular/polymer chemistry and bio-conjugation
- Understanding of nanofabrication technologies, surface properties, and materials chemistry
- Modification of glass/ metal/ polymer surfaces for post functionalization
- Experience with a wide range standard analytical technique
- Understanding of microfluidics, fluorescence-based assays, and fundamentals of DNA (bio)chemistry
- Experience designing and planning his/her own experiments
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Be comfortable working in a collaborative team
- Available to travel to the US up to 1 month per year if needed
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Chemistry or Materials Science.
- PhD or equivalent industrial or academic experience in Materials or Polymer Chemistry/ Surface Chemistry/ Nanofabrication.
- Experience with glass chemistry/ polymer glass interface chemistry as applied to biological assays or molecular sensing.
- Experience in the field of surface characterization would be a plus
This opportunity would suit a materials or polymer chemist that is looking for a chance to join an organisation that is on the cutting edge of biological assay surface chemistry. The post holder can expect a highly innovative environment with global collaboration and top of the range tools and hardware.