We are looking for a candidate with strong coding skills and a background in machine learning to implement world-changing, completely unique projects for neural engineering applications. BIOS has the largest neural data set in the world by an order of magnitude. This is career-making – and we want someone who equals our ambition, creativity and vision to work on our machine learning research.
Machine Learning Developer
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Implement machine learning systems in a variety of environments, particularly on cloud-based systems and edge devices.
- Integrate new fundamental research ideas into applied projects.
- Perform research to apply machine learning (particularly deep learning, reinforcement learning and transfer learning) to real world problems.
- Provide research consultancy on applied projects: determine the scope of the problem, the best place to apply machine learning, and evaluate different approaches.
- Collaborate with Software Engineers to design and run experiments, including designing and evaluating new algorithms as well as implementing known algorithms.
- Report and present experimental results and research findings clearly and efficiently, both internally and externally.
Essential skills and qualifications:
- Proven knowledge of machine learning and/or statistics and demonstrable ability to apply to complex unstructured data
- Competent in one or more of the following programming languages: Python, Java, C++
- Experience with implementing numerical methods and data visualization
- Good knowledge of algorithm design, evaluation and implementation
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow)
- Ability to adopt an innovative approach to thinking about data in new and creative ways
- Hands on experience of communicating results and findings clearly and efficiently across different levels of audience understanding
- Masters in machine learning, computer science, mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, or equivalent
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Experience with software development in a regulated industry (such as medical, energy or defense)
- Previous experience in C++
- Previous experience in reinforcement learning and / or deep learning
- Experience with GPU programming
- Familiarity with multi-threaded design and parallel/distributed computing
- Previous experience leading research projects and teams within academia and/or private sector
- PhD in machine learning, computer science, mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, or equivalent
- Working knowledge of source control management such as Git
- Understanding of issue management systems such as Gitlab and working with Agile software development methodologies
- Familiarity with AWS, Slack
Competitive salary depending on experience and company share options.
Other benefits include:
- Flexible hours (outside of core hours)
- Healthcare and Dental insurance
- Enhanced Pension scheme
- Gym membership contribution
- Cycle repair scheme
- Great central Cambridge location with excellent transport links
- Season ticket loan for commuters
- Snacks on tap
- Access to Cambridge Botanic Gardens
Preferred start date: ASAP
To apply: Please provide your CV and a 300 word cover letter.
BIOS is committed to equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, gender or sexual orientation.