Frontier are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
AI Vehicle Programmer
We are proud to be named one of the UK’s Best Places to Work by GamesIndustry.biz in 2018.
Come join our talented team of programmers working on Elite Dangerous! We are seeking someone with the knowledge, experience and passion to work on driver AI and the challenges of driving and navigating vehicles on complicated, rugged terrain. You will play a major role in developing new game features for planetary surfaces, taking responsibility for AI control of vehicles and working with the rest of the team to enhance gameplay.
As part of our gameplay programming team, you will work with Frontier’s proprietary COBRA engine and the game systems that create our simulation of the whole galaxy. You will build upon the physics, driving model, navigation and networking systems to create driving AI that understands and explores the surfaces of procedurally generated planets. Working in a cross-discipline game development team you will build an understanding of how vehicle AI fits into the wider game, and help the team to enhance the game with the opportunities that vehicle AI offers.
This is a great opportunity to work on solving new and exciting problems associated with creating AI which can navigate, drive and take part in combat over many different landscapes within a procedurally generated galaxy of over 400 billion star systems, and trillions of planetary surfaces.
- Engage with QA testing and player feedback to improve the game experience
- Spread knowledge of vehicle AI, mentoring others in best practices
- Take ownership of the technical design and implementation of vehicle AI in the Elite Dangerous galaxy
- Work with the design and content teams to identify requirements and expose functionality
- Collaborate with other programmers to design and implement systems.
- Held a programming role on at least one commercially released game for console or PC, developed primarily in C++
- Hands-on experience with game AI programming
- Knowledge of vehicle handling models
- Expertise with route planning, including understanding of performance and memory optimisation
- Worked as part of a large programming team developing a complex codebase
- Looking to develop their career as a programmer.
- Direct experience developing vehicle AI for an open-world game
- Experience of networking player-controlled vehicles or other twitch gameplay systems
- Understanding of game physics engines and driving models
- Strong 3D maths and physics skills
- Familiarity with adding features post-release to games with active players.
- Cross-platform development experience including Xbox One or Playstation 4.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 400+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.