Illumina Lab Services (ILS) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced software engineer to join the software and test team. This team builds software used by scientists to track and process large quantities of clinical genomic data and was instrumental in delivering the 100,000 genomes project. Building on this success, ILS is entering the next phase of the project and needs a Staff Software Engineer to help define the architecture and drive development of software that manages laboratory operations.
Staff Software Engineer
You’ll join a highly motivated team of software and test engineers that work closely with other teams across ILS, including bioinformatics and lab operations. Day-to-day activities span the entire development lifecycle and include both hands-on development and providing expertise to help define software architecture and design. This role also requires some technical leadership and would suit an experienced, proactive engineer who is looking for that next challenge. Most importantly you will have an opportunity to be part of a multidisciplinary group that delivers software solutions to support cutting-edge sequencing operations that make a difference to peoples’ lives.
- Collaborate with product owners and developers to design, implement, and maintain full-stack applications and services in scrum teams.
- Review software requirements, designs and code changes to ensure alignment with user needs and design inputs.
- Be an advocate for the SDLC and ensure that software is developed in compliance with our quality management system and medical device standards.
- Lead technical discussions within the team and provide guidance during architectural decision making.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and evaluate suitability of new software technologies to platform development efforts.
- Occasionally provide technical assistance to escalated operational issues.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of developing back-end applications and REST APIs in Python.
- Web development experience, preferably with client-side MVC Frameworks such as AngularJS.
- Experience of deployment and orchestration using Docker, Kubernetes, and Rancher.
- Relational database design using PostgreSQL and MySQL, plus experience of NoSQL stores, ideally MongoDB.
- Extensive experience of unit testing against mocked objects.
- Knowledge of integrating CI/CD pipelines within the development process.
- Proficient with version control using Git, GitHub and Git LFS.
- Success in working within a collaborative and fast-paced team environment using Agile development methodologies.
- Experience of developing with Java and Golang.
- Software development within a regulated environment, ideally to medical device standards.
- Certified Scrum master or an interest in developing towards this.
- Experience of software development using AWS.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science, or a related engineering subject.