Main purpose of position:
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and ambitious engineer with a broad development skill set to join a small team of talented engineers. The Applications Engineer will provide first class control system and calibration assistance for our Chassis Electronics range in professional motorsport, directly supporting our key customers and network of resellers. The role offers lots of variety with projects ranging from high performance track cars to top level LMP1 manufacturers. This would include trackside and customer facility support in addition to office-based working. The successful candidate will be qualified to degree level with race car electronics experience, ideally in a customer supporting role. Having a strong technical ability, you will be establishing new, and maintaining long-term relationships with clients.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Provide customer support for a range of Cosworth motorsport electronic products with primary focus around the chassis data loggers, controllers and displays.
- Work closely with customers throughout the project, providing optimum and innovative solutions, assist with system architecture layouts, system integration, project roll outs, continuous after sales support and development.
- Attend customer visits for project meetings and updates, as well as engine dyno assistance and trackside event support.
- Compiling and maintaining product and customer related documentation such as user guides, strategy guides and event reports.
- Assess customer requirements, market trends and work closely with software and hardware engineering teams to contribute towards continuous product improvement.
- Establish, build relationships and act as the primary technical contact for key customer accounts.
Skills and competencies
- Qualified to degree level in a related engineering discipline
- Working knowledge of mechanical and electrical/electronic systems relevant to the position
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to operate under pressure, often with tight deadlines
- Familiarity with the motorsport chassis systems and data analysis software packages
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent team working capabilities
- Willingness to take responsibility, reliably delivering on tasks and objectives
- Willingness to travel
- Experience in a customer support role
- Calibration experience of turbocharged and direct injection applications
- Calibration experience of motorsport semi-automatic transmission control gearshift systems, traction control and launch control
- Appreciation of auto-coding and developing engine control strategies in Matlab/Simulink
- Proven track record in delivering high end motorsport products and features
- Experience of hybrid and/or electric vehicle control
- Knowledge of motorsport wiring loom design and manufacturer
- Understanding of vehicle communication methods such as RS232, CAN, LIN, Ethernet and EtherCAT
- Basic understanding of computer programming languages such as C# and Visual Basic