Eastern AHSN is commissioned by the Office for Life Sciences (OLS) and NHS England to deliver a programme of support to accelerate the creation and adoption of health innovations, delivering improved outcomes for the population and generating economic growth, regionally and nationally. This role will support the delivery of our commercial team programme, as one component of our innovation exchange pathway. Working closely between the commercial and delivery teams, the postholder will be responsible for supporting the translation of innovation into the local health and social care system which supports the matching of local needs with validated healthcare solutions.
The role works within a team comprising a Commercial Director and programme managers focused on providing direct support to innovators and companies to both develop healthcare innovations and support their translation into practice within the region. The postholder will be expected to support SMEs and companies to access the NHS, providing support, advice and guidance on market access, commercialisation, IP and alike to generate jobs and leverage funding for the companies we support. The second element of the role is focused on the adoption of innovation into the healthcare setting. Working closely with the NHS facing teams, the postholder will play a crucial role in the identification, assessment and introduction of new innovations that meet established NHS needs.
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
• Senior credibility and experience within the life science and business sectors and business development experience;
• An understanding of the breadth, competitive landscape and future trends of innovations relevant to the health and social care sector;
• Working knowledge of the NHS and our health and social care system;
• Programme management expertise in order to design, implement and oversee delivery of the wide range of activities across the portfolio;
• Ability to draw insights from a breadth of quantitative and qualitative analytical information and to guide people to appropriate actions based on this;
• Ability to engage with different staff groups from public and private sectors – with the ability to flow between business and public sector environments and provide support to staff in both environments; and,
• Confidence and credibility to engage with external partners and stakeholders – engaging them in the work of the Eastern AHSN.
• Track record in leveraging funding and/or generating a return on investment across applicable projects
As a Commercial Business Development Lead, the post holder will work within the Commercial Team responsible for identifying, shaping and driving opportunities for delivering an effective transformational support service to the Eastern health and care system and generate inward investment for Eastern AHSN and the East of England.
The post holder will support the Commercial Director and their team to ensure business leads/opportunities provide maximum impact to the Eastern region and are managed effectively on their successful delivery through NHS adoption support:
• Working closely within the Eastern AHSN team, provide proactive and reactive support to identify innovations which address identified local needs for maximal value creation;
• Create evidence and material on relevant innovations to support stakeholder engagement and communications activity;
• Provide support to the matching stage of the innovation exchange process, bringing together companies and SMEs, with health care representatives, patients and other key stakeholders to support adoption of innovations in the region;
• Maintain a pipeline of innovations which can be fast-tracked for implementation, aligned to local needs. Business support
• Support the design and implementation of a standardised due diligence and assessment process for companies and SMEs to determine appropriate AHSN support;
• Support the identification of potential strategic partnerships between companies, NHS and Eastern AHSN, based on identified needs analysis;
• Support the delivery of a number of alumni and community of practice offerings to companies and SMEs including Clinical entrepreneurs;
• Design, plan and implement additional programmes of activity to address desired business support outcomes (jobs created, investment leveraged and exports) within the region;
• Creation of material to share learning and demonstrate impact of Eastern AHSN commercial activity including the production of case studies; and,
• Support to horizon scanning and market assessment activities. Programme management
• Provide programme management support to activity delivered by the commercial team and in support of the Commercial Director;
• Ensure appropriate project and programme management documentation is in place for all relevant activities;
• Matrix management of peers leading on commercial programmes of work, requiring highly developed negotiation skills to ensure the team delivers agreed outcomes;
• Budget management responsibility for the commercial programme;
• Responsibility for ensuring compliance with relevant procurement processes, contract management and oversight is in place for all commissioned activity;
• Completion of regular reporting on the delivery of support activities with proactive risks and issues management, contributing to internal and external governance processes as required; and,
• Represent Eastern AHSN at an AHSN network level in relevant forums/groups as agreed with the Commercial Director. Commercial activity
• Support the development of Eastern AHSN commercial activities, in order to diversify organisational income. Programmes expected to include consultancy offerings to industry that complement our core activity.
• Plan for and successfully deliver consultancy services and / or commissioned programmes to clients, as required. Corporate duties
• Support the organisation in creating an environment that values risk management and promotes the highest standards of health and safety for Eastern AHSN’s employees, supported by policies and procedures as appropriate
• Comply with current data protection laws and company data protection policy and procedures
• Support the organisation in developing a collaborative working environment and a culture of innovation and positive leadership, participating in the appraisal process, as required
• Promote Equal Opportunities and affirm that staff, colleagues, patients and others who encounter Eastern AHSN are afforded equality of treatment and opportunities.
• Observe Eastern AHSN’s Equality and Diversity policy in every aspect of your work. Avoiding any behaviour which discriminates against colleagues, potential employees, patients or clients on any grounds
• Work with others appropriately to achieve organisational goal
• Comply with the Eastern AHSN values and behaviours
This job description provides an overview of only of the key initial requirements of the post. The post holder will be required to commit to flexibility and responsiveness, as the requirements of the post are certain to change over time.