Owlstone Medical has a vacancy for a Firmware Engineer focusing on developing embedded code to drive our mobile chemical detection systems.
Deployed in a range of chemical protection applications, Owlstone detectors are based on a proprietary, micron-scale ion-filtering technology. The ion filters are rapidly and precisely tunable, enabling a new level of detection and identification performance for hand-held, portable, and fixed-site systems for the defence, security and first-responder markets. Advanced control software and data processing algorithms provide re-configurable alarm capability, allowing systems to keep pace with changing chemical threats without hardware modification.
Areas of Responsibility
- Writing and debugging low level ‘C’ code for PIC and Cortex processors
- Help in the selection of suitable microprocessors and other components
- Participation in hardware design reviews
- Close liaison with hardware engineers during initial debugging
- Writing Program specifications
- Writing Test specifications
- Writing Program and User documentation
- Follow the company standard software release procedures
The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Be fluent in the ‘C’ programming language
- Experience of writing firmware in a commercial environment
- Experience of writing low level device drivers
- Experience of writing low level device drivers for UARTs, SPI and I2C devices
- An ability to write well documented and maintainable code
- An ability to work independently, but know when to ask for advice
- An ability to read and understand schematic diagrams
- An ability to use test equipment like oscilloscopes
- Experience of PIC and Cortex processors
- Experience of GIT version control system
- A knowledge of common interfaces and bus architectures like UARTS, I2C, SPI etc.
- An understanding of the configuration of embedded Linux, device trees etc.
- An ability to program in Verilog or VHDL with an interest in developing FPGA designs
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check. Access to selected project information requires prior additional security authorization. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Export Control function approval. Full clearance must be satisfactorily attained against all applicable project-security and US export control authorisations. Failure to meet any reference, BPSS, project-security or export-control authorisations may have an impact on successfully completing your probationary period.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list.