We are currently seeking a Head of Clinical and Translational Science to join our Research and Development team, based in Cambridge, UK.
Head of Clinical & Translational Science
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B, with several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
We are currently seeking a Head of Clinical and Translational Science to join our Research and Development team, based in Cambridge, UK. The successful candidate will lead and manage a multi-disciplinary group of scientists working to discover and validate biomarkers in breath. They will be responsible for ensuring the team supports and enables our business objectives, with the scientific capability and capacity required to deliver on our mission.
The Head of Clinical and Translational Science will be a key member of Owlstone's R&D management team, playing a significant role in shaping and communicating the company's scientific strategy and helping us to sustain, develop and mature our business processes and systems as the company grows.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Leading, sustaining and growing a multi-disciplinary group of biochemists, metabolomic and clinical scientists, providing scientific direction and oversight, and working with other senior staff to promote co-ordination across our biomarker discovery and test development efforts
- Playing a key role in shaping and implementing the company strategy for biomarker discovery and test development; designing and executing in-vitro and in-vivo strategies to evaluate Breath Biopsy test opportunities and move them through all stages of development
- Communicating the company strategy both inside and Outside Owlstone; ensuring your team understands the context for and value of their work, and engaging and growing a strong network of customers and collaborators in pharma, biotech and academia
- As a senior member of Owlstone's Research and Development management team, helping to lead and manage the R&D organisation, building capability, processes and systems to support the growth of the company
- Maintaining a sound understanding of Owlstone's markets and the value we bring to the customer, and representing this in internal, customer, partner, and investor meetings
- Supporting project planning and execution, ensuring that assumptions on technical approach, timescales and resource needs are realistic and helping the team to overcome obstacles to progress
- Promoting communication within and outside the department, helping to ensure that work is aligned and co-ordinated throughout R&D organisation
- Providing effective line management for the team, providing support and feedback, encouraging and promoting career development, assessing performance and giving key input to salary reviews
The successful candidate:
- Will be an accomplished leader with a strong track record of building, leading, managing and developing high-performing scientific teams
- Will have expert knowledge in several of the following areas: Metabolomics, clinical experimentation, early-phase research pipeline management, drug development, clinical medicine, epidemiology, immunology and/or biochemistry
- Will relish the challenge of a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment; able to manage multiple competing priorities and identify and focus on the right things
- Will be a great communicator and team member, able to work effectively with staff in all parts of the organisation
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list.