We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Lead Chemist position based in Cambridge, UK.
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Lead Chemist position based in Cambridge, UK. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing developing, validating, and optimizing analytical methods and associated Breath Biopsy methods, from early pre-clinical stages to commercial product development, targeting both research and In-Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) use.
The successful candidate will be based in the chemistry department and act as a technical lead, providing expert analytical technical guidance to key project stakeholders as well as other chemistry team members. The selected candidate will be able to draw upon deep analytical (GC-MS highly recommended) method development knowledge to quickly gain a holistic overview of all internally run analytical processes and associated projects to provide direction and feedback for the involved team. Strong communication skills will be also required to ensure continuity between key stakeholders from other departmental teams working on different strands of the developing assay.
Areas of responsibility
- Provide technical expertise to other members of the chemistry and project teams.
- Pro-actively communicate and ensure adoption of valid analytical processes to achieve project objectives.
- Own and complete a wide range of different analytical tasks alone or as a team technical lead.
- Provide a technical development mentorship role by reviewing and providing feedback for others work.
Requirements of the role
- In-depth knowledge of valid analytical instruments.
- In-depth knowledge of analytical procedures.
- In-depth knowledge of analytical statistics.
- GC-MS method development is highly desirable.
- Strong demonstrated ability to technically lead and mentor scientists / research associates.
- Experience with regulated method development, including transfer, verification, and validation activities necessary for research and diagnostic product commercialization.
- Excellent technical scientific writing, communication and organizational skills.
- The ability to act proactively and make decisions for self and multiple teams.
The successful candidate:
- Will be able to demonstrate hands-on technical leadership skills.
- Must be self-directed, organised and conscientious.
- Will be proficient in executing design transfers and in-process quality checks.
- Will have the ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Must have demonstrated the ability to work under pressure and with short deadlines to accomplish objectives.
- Will communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Will think strategically when planning, managing teams, and managing processes.
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.