We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Research and Development team in Cambridge UK.
Owlstone Medical’s mission is to save 100,000 lives, through our expertise in trace chemical detection and analysis. We are building methods for disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, as well as developing chemical detection systems to warn people of the presence of life-threatening chemicals in their surroundings.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our Research and Development team in Cambridge UK. As a Mechanical Engineer in the Systems Department you will play a key role in developing detection and diagnosis systems based on our core technologies for both our medical and our defence and security products (see owlstoneinc.com). The role combines mechanical design, testing and development in a fast-paced, innovative, multi-disciplinary environment.
Areas of Responsibility
- Design and development of mechanical aspects of complex multi-disciplinary products/ programmes for the medical and/or defence sectors; working closely with electronics, software and systems engineers as well as chemists and physicists
- Mechanical analysis of designs, including tolerance analysis, based on a strong understanding of mechanical principles and manufacturing techniques
- Design of prototypes and practical, hands-on lab testing of designs
- 3D CAD modelling and 2D production drawings
- Supplier identification and component sourcing
- Bachelors or higher degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical Engineering or related subject
- Experience using CAD programmes (Solidworks preferred)
- Experience in designing to a range of manufacturing methods for metals and plastics
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capability
- Ability to work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in FEA, mechanical simulations
- Experience working with pneumatics and microfluidics
- Experience in working in medical (working to ISO 13485 desirable) or defence sector (chemical detection desirable)
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list.