Owlstone is looking for a Programme Manager to join its busy PMO, working on the Breath Biopsy Test Programme.
The mission of this programme is that by 2021 we will demonstrate our ability to launch breath biopsy tests, underpinned by solid evidence, that save lives.
Concentrating initially on tests for Lung Cancer, Liver Disease and Asthma, the Programme Manager will work closely with the Senior Responsible Owner of the Test Programme, the various project teams / departments and the scientific advisory board in order to build a programme capability that will enable the organisation to make significant progress against very challenging timelines.
In this role, you will need the ability to coordinate multiple projects and activities from start up through to completion, navigate and manage the inevitable uncertainty that comes with R&D Programmes and, ultimately, ensure that the organisation can realise the benefits of the programme outcomes.
Working across all areas of the business and with a wide range of stakeholders, this role is pivotal to the success of Owlstone.
Key Tasks / Accountabilities
You will be expected to manage the full life cycle of a test development programme, including:
- Start Up – identify opportunities, assess commercial value and strategic fit, assess technical risk, health economics and clinical positioning
- Initiation – identify the customer/user and develop requirements and concepts, produce plans for the programme tranches, identify and allocate resources, develop and communicate the roadmap, manage risk and understand any regulatory compliance requirements in order to produce a Programme Definition Document.
- Execution – choosing the right delivery methodology for each project and workstream, coordinate efforts across the programme in order to:
- Target biomarkers from literature and discovery experiments
- Develop breath biopsy assays aimed at optimising chances of discovery
- Validate biomarkers using clinical trials
- Launch tests, initially for research use only
- Monitoring & Control – use a range of techniques and reporting to ensure schedule, budgets, risk, quality, scope, changes etc are under control.
- Closure – ensure the organisation is able to realise the benefits from the programme outcomes.
- Programme Management – you will have an expert level of understanding of project and programme management methodologies and techniques, backed up with strong practical experience in a variety of environments, ideally including pharmaceutical development. You will be able to own and direct several complex projects and activities involving a high degree of uncertainty and complexity. You will be a thought-leader for programme management at an organisational level with strong commercial acumen.
- Team Building – you will actively plan and promote staff development and take the lead in training and mentoring experienced project managers. You will lead on recruitment and selection of new hires and be an expert in making a team greater than the sum of its parts.
- Communication and Negotiation – you will lead and represent the company in customer meetings, where appropriate, and be comfortable working outside the boundaries of your core technical field, collaborating and communicating effectively across disciplines. You will support internal and external stakeholders to set project and programme plans which are realistic and technically co-ordinated.
- Collaboration and Self Awareness – you are self-driving in soft-skills personal development with expert level ability to use different collaboration and working styles to suit colleagues. You will be comfortable mentoring more junior colleagues in conflict resolution and collaboration.
- Information Technology – you are proficient using a range of IT systems at an intermediate or advanced level to deliver your projects, e.g. MS Office (including Project and Teams), Atlassian JIRA and Confluence, Document Management Systems, etc.
- A degree in a science discipline
- Experience working within a pharmaceutical development environment
- A formal Project / Programme Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, MSP, APMP, etc)
- Experience of using an Agile / Scrum for delivering work packages
- Experience of working within an ISO 9001 / ISO 13485 Quality Management System
Owlstone Medical has developed a breathalyzer for disease www.owlstonemedical.com.
Every time you breathe out there are hundreds of chemicals on your breath - some are tell-tale markers of disease that our microchip chemical sensor technology is able to detect.
Our vision is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; we aim to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. The key is detecting diseases earlier, when treatments are more effective, where more lives can be saved. There is no better example than cancer, where if detected early the chances of survival can be as good at 95% but at late stage drop to about 5% - unfortunately there are still far too many people detected at late stage.
The Owlstone group also commercialises a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defence.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a great team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes future share options and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of an expanding company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone may be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list.