RAND Europe is a not-for-profit organisation that conducts independent research. Our mission is to help improve policy and decision-making through evidence-based research and analysis. We realise our mission by undertaking objective, balanced research, sharing the insights and information widely, and working in partnership with a range of clients and collaborators.
Analyst: Defence, Security and Infrastructure
RAND Europe was established in 1992 as an independently chartered European unit of the US policy research institution, the RAND Corporation. With offices in Brussels and Cambridge, RAND Europe employs between 80-100 researchers, across a wide range of disciplines. 60% of our research staff hold advanced degrees (PhD).
RAND Europe's in-house groups offer multidisciplinary research skills, both qualitative and quantitative. Our work lies on the continuum between that of universities and consultancies, combining the academic rigour of universities and the professional, task orientated approach of consultancies.
RAND Europe has three research groups: the Home Affairs and Social Policy group (which provides expertise in the areas of justice and social policies), the Innovation, Health and Science group (which focuses on science and technology, innovation policy, health and healthcare) and the Defence, Security and Infrastructure group.
The Defence, Security and Infrastructure group conducts a wide-ranging portfolio of research for a diverse client base in the UK, Europe and beyond. The team’s expertise covers a broad range of defence, security and infrastructure issues from strategy, policy and plans to acquisition and personnel. Our work streams cover:
- Defence (strategy; policy; capabilities; acquisition/ industrial; technology)
- Security (terrorism, counter-violent extremism, migration, resilience and cyber)
- Infrastructure (transport and choice modelling; infrastructure policy)
Researchers in the Defence, Security and Infrastructure group originate from diverse professional backgrounds including the Civil Service, military, consultancy and academia. Their knowledge and experience spans: defence policy and planning; acquisition, procurement and defence industrial issues; complex programme evaluation; strategic-level exercises; risk and resilience; terrorism and violent extremism; cyber policy; transport policy and demand modelling; and choice and valuation studies across a range of sectors.
We are looking for a dedicated Analyst to join our Defence, Security and Infrastructure research group who can support our research and analysis activities with a flexible and collaborative approach.
In this role you will be addressing complex policy questions by conducting research and analysis on behalf of our clients and supports the research group in submitting proposals and delivering multiple projects in a timely and accurate manner. You will need to supports corporate activity as required.
- Conducts research and analysis on research projects for clients
- Manages small projects, with some supervision, including monitoring budget, timetable and deliverables
- Drafts sections of reports with minimal supervision
- Maintains day-to-day contact with clients
- Contributes to impact by identifying opportunities for communication of research findings
- Analyses calls for tender to identify proposal requirements
- Manages small proposals
- Drafts sections of proposals
- Supports business development activities
- Supports strategic corporate initiatives
- Ad hoc duties as required
Skills and Experience
- Proven research and analytical skills in a relevant role
- Ability to critically evaluate evidence and identify its implications
- Experience in collaborative team work
- Experience in applying qualitative and quantitative research methodologies
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Report writing
- Intermediate Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Post graduate degree or equivalent
- 8% Employer contribution pension
- BUPA medical insurance
- Income protection
- Group life assurance
- Employee Assistance scheme
- Enhanced holiday allowance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Fresh fruit every day
- Free parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Company bikes
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
How to apply
If you feel that you have the qualities to be a part of our team please apply below with a CV, covering letter and a short writing sample (up to 3 pages, aimed at a non-technical audience). Please note that your CV, covering letter and writing sample will need to be submitted as one document.
The deadline for applications is 31st January 2020.