We are looking for a capable Senior Analyst to work within our Innovation, Health & Science (IHS) research group, supporting business development and project delivery for the IHS group’s innovation/science/research policy client base. The role will involve networking with current and potential future clients and partners to successfully position IHS for future contracts, working with senior colleagues to manage groups of talented researchers in winning and delivering research, and conducting high quality research across a range of innovation and science related topics. This role is based in Cambridge, although there will likely be regular travel to London as well as some wider travel to visit clients and to RAND Europe’s Brussels office.
Senior Analyst: Innovation, Health and Science
We are looking for applicants with experience working in one or both of two of our areas of focus: emerging technology policy and research on research:
- Our work in emerging technology policy focuses on analysing the implications of new and emerging technologies, from blockchain and AI to driverless cars and virtual reality. The multi-disciplinary nature of RAND Europe enables our research to cut across multiple sectors and cover a range of topical, policy-relevant issues such as data governance, privacy, security, work and skills, standards, and regulation. We look at the trends and drivers of the emergence of new technologies, understand what the implications might be for society, the economy and wellbeing, and consider potential policy implications of our findings. Some examples of our work in this area can be found here: https://www.rand.org/randeurope/research/science-technology-innovation/digital.html
- Our programme of ‘research on research’ analyses all aspects of the research system, how it works, and how it could be improved. This includes evaluations of portfolios of research for research funders; work looking at aspects of researcher culture, such as researcher mobility and mental health; analysis of the research funding process, with a particular focus on peer review; and studies looking at the wider societal impacts of research and also the role of the impact agenda and open science in the changing research landscape. Our research on research portfolio is international in nature and draws on a wide range of quantitative and qualitative methodologies. Some examples of our work in this area can be found here: https://www.rand.org/randeurope/research/science-technology-innovation/science-of-science.html
RAND Europe is a not-for-profit policy research organisation. Our mission is to help improve policy- and decision-making through evidence-based research and analysis. We conduct research to the standards of a university and deliver that work in the highly responsive manner expected from a consultancy. We realise our mission by undertaking objective, balanced and relevant research, sharing the insights and information widely, and working in partnership with a range of clients and collaborators.
We wish to recruit a Senior Analyst with an excellent track record in one or more of the following policy areas: emerging technology policy and research on research. We are seeking a talented individual with policy research experience that has strong quantitative and/or qualitative methodological skills, evidence of publishing policy relevant research, and, ideally, experience conducting research for the UK government and/or the European Commission and member state institutions. Applications are welcomed from those with a background in the public sector, academia or consultancy.
Successful candidates will have:
- A background in emerging technology policy and/or research on research with a demonstrable and strong track record of applying their research skills to policy problems. Relevant disciplines include public policy, politics, economics, sociology or related social science disciplines and/or a background in engineering/natural sciences with related policy experience.
- Experience in research design and applying a range of qualitative and/or quantitative methodologies to policy analysis studies (ideally in emerging technology and/or research on research)
- Experience supporting the development of proposals to win funding for research/consultancy, either for contract research projects or grant funding.
- Excellent evidence of working as part of a team, motivating others and managing the delivery of work across a group of colleagues.
- A developing record of high quality research publications.
- A developing network of contacts and partners with which RAND Europe will be able to develop collaborations and form teams to deliver first class research proposals and projects.
In addition, you will have excellent analytical, writing and presentation skills (evidenced by examples) and the proven ability to communicate effectively with clients and to varied audiences. You will have strong project management experience, including experience of budget management.
Fluency in English is also essential and proficiency in other EU languages would be useful.
You will work in a strong team-based environment to conduct policy analysis in UK, European and global settings. Funders of the IHS team’s research include the UK government, the European Commission, the Health Foundation, the World Health Organisation and other funders including charities and industry.
This is an exciting opportunity working with the one of the world’s most respected public policy consultancies. It is ideally suited to a flexible and ambitious individual who wishes to make a real impact on policy working alongside a very talented team in a collegiate and meritocratic environment.
In your application you must state your eligibility to work in the EU.