What you’ll be doing
As a Cloud Software Engineer in our Services Development team, you will help design, build and run our cloud-based services. As part of this team, you will create the software services that Azuri relies on to deliver its award-winning Pay-As-You-Go solar power technology to rural, off-grid homes in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The team develops reliable, cloud services that support end-users and distribution, including mobile payment systems, business and distributor information systems, mobile apps and data and analytics platforms.
You will be working in an agile team with software engineers, designers, test engineers and our other teams spanning distribution, logistics, operations and finance. You’ll get to learn the business model and its deployment to deliver a dependable PAYG service that supports end-users, distribution partners and Azuri across multiple countries in Africa.
By working within the Services Development and the wider Azuri team, you will help to define and implement the platform that delivers new and creative services, make technology choices, scale and secure our service platform and evolve our development processes and environment. You will influence our cloud deployment strategy and architecture, including its automation and monitoring.
Working at Azuri, you will make a real social and economic impact on the lives of millions of people in Sub-Saharan Africa. Our products and services have an immediate impact on the education, health, wealth, security and life quality of our customers through the delivery of renewable energy and services.
At Azuri, you will be influencing and contributing to the current and next generation of solutions and processes that will enable Azuri to bring solar energy to more people across Africa.
Who you are
You are passionate about building scalable, secure, cloud-based systems and digital services that make a material impact on people’s lives.
You have experience with cloud applications, web infrastructure, distributed systems, databases and delivering and deploying software services in agile teams.
You’ll be looking to join an agile team that collectively owns the software it develops throughout its entire lifecycle.
- You are an experienced programmer and believe in choosing the right programming language and tools for the job
- You believe team success and individual success come hand-in-hand
- You love the thrill of solving hard and meaningful problems as a team
- You have good experience developing web services using Java (Spring Framework), Golang, Node.js, Python, or other modern Object-Oriented programming languages
- You are interested in creating cloud software and sharing this enthusiasm with colleagues
- You have a good understanding of programming fundamentals; algorithms, data structures and Object-Oriented programming
- You will have worked on scalable, service-oriented, database-driven platforms on the cloud
- You have a minimum of 2 years’ experience working in an agile team
- You have a good degree in computer science, software engineering or relevant subject or equivalent industry experience
Ideally you have knowledge and experience of some of the following:
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- CI automation such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Atlassian suite
- Distributed cloud software architectures
- NoSQL databases e.g. Redis, MongoDB, Neo4j
- SQL databases. e.g. AWS RDS, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Kafka, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Hadoop, MapReduce, Kafka, Kinesis, Spark or similar
- Networking e.g. IP, DNS, HTTP/HTTPS
However, when you join the Services Development team at Azuri, you’ll get first-hand opportunity to work with many of these technologies.
Occasional travel to Sub-Saharan Africa may be required.
Azuri is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.