We’re looking for a talented and enthusiastic Category Buyer to join our progressive Procurement function, within the growing area of Indirects. In this role you will own and develop category strategies and stakeholder relationships across key indirect areas such as HR, Media & PR, Health & Safety.
Category Buyer (Indirect)
About the role:
You’ll be working in a collaborative and flexible Procurement team which has a clear vison of maximising value and minimizing commercial risk for the Institute.
You’ll be given ownership of categories in various levels of development and expected to define the associated strategies through building stakeholder relationships and developing strong supply market knowledge.
You will have a good background in Procurement and whilst specific category knowledge is flexible, a strong understanding and belief in the value Procurement can deliver, is important.
We have an agile team of Procurement professionals who are passionate about maximising value from our third party spend, ultimately enabling the Institute to deliver more world-class science within its budgets. Come and help us achieve this!
- Strong and collaborative working relationships with relevant stakeholders and project team members
- Self-starter, able to work autonomously, but with full support of Partners and Heads of Procurement where required
- Proven negotiator with suppliers and customers alike and has the ability to develop collaborative relationships both internally and externally
- Strong advocate for Procurement value proposition
- Demonstrable experience in category management and associated tools/techniques
- Ability to take underlying data and present narrative and recommendations to stakeholders
- Solution and output orientated with a willingness to take on challenges
- Proven ability to listen, understand business needs and provide win-win solutions in a proactive and principled manner
- Flexible and pragmatic attitude
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills
- Good understanding of key contractual terms
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more on our website or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world's foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity's greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.