As a Data Engineer for the Royal Society of Chemistry, you'll be part of the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Data Science & Insights team who play an important role in the RSC's mission to shape the future of the chemical sciences – for the benefit of science and humanity, focusing on projects that make a measurable difference. They use their knowledge to help produce reports on topics such as gender biases, to help prepare briefs to guide government policy on research funding and education, and to take part in international competitions to improve the state of the art in machine learning.
Reporting to our Data Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the Royal Society of Chemistry’s data warehouse. This role is highly technical and hands-on, and involves running projects to ensure that data is consolidated, standardised and accessible in a manner that is useful to the RSC.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is the world’s leading chemistry community and the UK’s professional body for chemical scientists - connecting the world of science to advance chemical knowledge for a better future.
We are looking for:
- Highly desirable to have AWS data warehousing experience. This includes familiarity with data related AWS technologies including databases (especially Redshift and documentDB), pipelining (e.g. using AWS Lambda) and associated core technologies (e.g. SNS/SQS).
- Experience in Python and associated data manipulation packages (e.g. NumPy, pandas).
- Degree in a numeric or scientific discipline.
- Familiarity with analytical, statistical or machine learning.
- Experience in data standardisation and QA techniques.
- Database technical knowledge including experience with both SQL and NoSQL solutions.
- Dashboard experience highly desirable (especially Power BI).
- Well-organised, self-motivated team player; aptitude for project management.
- Able to clearly communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Negotiating skills to quickly resolve customer issues.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we offer a great, flexible work environment and benefits.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply before the end of our closing date.
Download the full job description here.