We have an exciting and newly created role to join our team of legal, ethics and other professionals supporting ground-breaking science. This new role will focus on governance and compliance, reporting directly to the General Counsel & Company Secretary.
About the role:
- You will support the GRL Board of Directors and its committees in order to ensure good governance and compliance, including managing the dates and deadlines for the meetings, agendas, secretariat for the meetings, taking clear and concise minutes of meetings and following up actions agreed at these meetings.
- You will ensure that GRL complies with its governance-related obligations, including Articles of Association, the Companies Act and the requirements that apply to it as a charity.
- You will be able to put in place and manage policies and processes to ensure good governance and compliance, including those relating to safeguarding, conflicts of interests, anti-bribery and modern slavery.
- Help track and where relevant to manage risk for GRL, working with the General Counsel, senior leadership team and the Board as well as its committees.
- Enthusiasm for GRL’s charitable mission in scientific research
- Strong experience in governance and/or company secretariat
- Proven strong experience of organising board meetings, agendas and taking accurate and concise minutes
- Exceptional organisational skills and attention to detail
- Strong experience in using Microsoft packages, for example Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and able to learn new computer skills quickly
- Experience in working to multiple deadlines and managing competing priorities
- Ability to deal with confidential and/or sensitive information with exceptional diplomacy and tact, and a high level of professionalism
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- “Can-do” attitude focused on looking for solutions
- Positive, open-minded with a flexible approach
- ICSA qualification or similar
- Project management experience
- Experience of risk management
- Experience of charity sector and working effectively with trustees & senior leaders
- Exposure to scientific research or pharma/biotech environment
Our campus provides a unique and beautiful working environment with an impressive range of services and facilities and we pride ourselves on taking care of all our staff and provide a competitive and comprehensive range of benefits for you and your family, to compliment your lifestyle.
We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family-friendly policies and benefits including a flexible working policy for those who may wish to apply to amend their working pattern or arrangement
Closing date: 29th February, 2020
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world's foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity's greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.