We are looking for a Systems Support and Development Specialist to join our Data Services Architecture Group. You will be an integral part of a forward thinking and flexible team who provide critical services to their customers and are recognised for the value they provide.
Systems Support and Development Specialist
About the role:
You will deliver high quality, customer focused, support services for the Finance System and other Corporate Applications throughout the Campus. The role should promote effective use of these applications at all times in order to support the research aims of the campus and the wider functions.
You will be a strong communicator, with adaptable people skills to engage with the user community. You will learn quickly and, working as part of a team, understand complex software and database packages and be able to react quickly to changes in customer and management requirements. You will be involved in the continuing development and delivery of the ERP system, taking responsibility for the dedicated management of change.
A broad range of experience in software service provision is required. You will require to support a unique environment of leading edge scientific customers and those in more traditional finance and logistics departments. You will also be required to assist in architecting and specifying scalable but flexible Application solutions to deliver a high quality end user experience.
- Good knowledge and previous experience of working with ERP systems in a support or implementation role
- Ability to work with Relational Databases such as SQLServer and/or Oracle
- Experience of web services development especially using REST APIs
- A track record of successfully delivering fit for purpose software solutions in a dynamic environment
- High level of analytical skills: understanding a business issue and providing a system solution
- Ability to explain technical issues clearly to non-technical users and communicate effectively at all levels with both internal and external stakeholders
- Good knowledge and previous experience of project planning and delivery principles coupled with a Service Management framework experience such as ITIL
- A driven individual with a ‘can do’ attitude, who has customer focused service in mind
- Significant experience of providing broad-based software technical support and development services within a complex service environment
- Experience of delivering a high quality customer focused software support service
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with all levels of management and staff
- The ability to actively question and listen resulting in quick and efficient resolutions to problems
- High level of problem solving/analytical skills
- High degree of initiative and self-motivation
- In depth working knowledge/understanding of range of operating systems including Windows, Linux systems
- Skills supporting and/or implementing financial systems, including reporting functionality Good understanding of the internet, global networks and networking technologies and environments
- Experience of software development using languages such as Java, Powershell and an associated toolchain (IDE/Revision control/CI)
- Experience in supporting IT infrastructure for some of the core Corporate Services functions (typically these include, Finance, Procurement, Stores, Health & Safety and the HR departments)
- Computer Science related degree
- Experience of staff supervision
Closing date: 31st March, 2020
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world's foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity's greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.