The Research Team at Alzheimer’s Research UK is responsible for achieving the primary charitable objective of funding dementia research for patient benefit. To deliver this, an ambitious research strategy has been set. In delivering this research strategy, the Research Team has expertise and capability in grant, project and programme management and funding. Regarding strategic initiatives, the Research Team lead, manage and co-ordinate several drug discovery initiatives including a flagship £30m Alliance of three Drug Discovery Institutes, successful partnerships between ARUK and Industry to validate novel targets (Dementia Consortium and Psychiatry Consortium) and a global early detection initiative (EDoN) aimed at detecting dementia diseases early. There is also a range of collective expertise and knowledge of dementia, biomedical dementia research and its funding landscape, as well as expertise in the research and development of therapeutics. As befits a research-dedicated funder, this expertise and knowledge needs to be at a high level as well as current.
The growing research portfolio of the charity has created the need for an additional senior leadership role in the Research team to ensure that ARUK can continue to be a leading funder of dementia research in the UK and increasingly internationally. The Director of Research will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) but work closely with the Director of Translational Medicine/MD of EDoN and the Director of Policy as well as working more broadly across the Fundraising & Communications Directorate, and Corporate Resources. The Heads of Research, Strategic Initiatives and Translational Science will report into this position. The post will support the CEO in providing scientific leadership, credibility and expertise, particularly in relation to ARUK’s current activities and future ambitions in drug discovery and development and will play an important role in both internal and external representation and interactions.
The ideal candidate will be a well-networked and respected figure in neuroscience research with a track record in drug discovery. Experience of working in academia, industry or with academic-industry partnerships would be highly beneficial. The candidate will require the ability to think strategically and support the CEO in developing new opportunities to fulfil ARUK’s charitable remit.
What we are looking for:
- Education Level: A PhD in neuroscience research or equivalent experience
- Experience in leading multi-functional teams, working with and across teams
- Experience leading research projects/programmes/consortia
- Experience of basic and translational neuroscience
- Experience in, and knowledge of, drug discovery or development in neuroscience
- Experience in leading or managing academic-industry/charity-industry partnerships
- Exemplary leadership skills with both practical and short/long term strategic vision; ability to build relationships and inspire confidence and respect at all levels; strong team player.
- Excellent communicator – able to build rapport and demonstrate strong influencing, negotiation skills and decision-making skills; excellent listening skills - receptive to feedback and demonstrates flexibility, curiosity and an ability to learn.
- Ability to explain complex information to all stakeholders.
- Ability to write and present comprehensive reports to the relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrates and encourages ownership and responsibility; drive/motivation - has a “can-do” attitude and is committed to delivering results and strives for continuous improvement.
- A good blend of strategic and analytical thinking; innovative personality; able to see the bigger picture and set future direction.
- Strong ethical standards and a high level of personal integrity.
Location: Granta Park, near Cambridge.
Salary: Competitive, plus benefits
The closing date for applications is the 29th March 2020. Should we wish to contact you to arrnage an interview, this will be done based on the availability of the candidate and the panel. When applying, please indicate in your cover letter if you are unable to attend on a certain date. We would encourage applicants to submit their application as the earliest opportuniti as the closing date may be brought forward as any time.