As a Data Engineering Manager for the Royal Society of Chemistry, you will manage a team of data engineering and application specialists and will be responsible for data management across the organisation. This role is technical in nature and also requires excellent soft skills, with a good understanding of the principles of and technologies behind data management. The main focus of the role involves running projects to ensure that data is collected, standardised and presented so that it is valuable to the RSC.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is the world’s leading chemistry community and the UK’s professional body for chemical scientists - connecting the world of science to advance chemical knowledge for a better future.
In this role your core responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with a diverse set of users and stakeholders with different levels of knowledge to ensure that data management practices are adopted.
- Actively identifying and clearly and objectively communicating needs and results.
- Overseeing the designing, build and deployment of required data management solutions.
- Defining the data governance and associated processes required for standardising data.
- Leading, managing and developing a team of data professionals to deliver data as an asset.
- Keeping up-to-date with new technologies, CRM solutions and developments, along with appropriate best practices to deliver innovative customer insight, and analysing and reporting back developments that might be beneficially initiated or developed.
- Overseeing data integrity and customer data governance, ensuring that data is maintained and used effectively, adhering to compliance and privacy rules and establishing system and data best practices.
- Devising, managing and monitoring data management expenditure, ensuring cost-efficient and effective delivery, on time and to budget.
We are looking for:
- Graduate in a scientific or numerate discipline. Higher degree (PhD) preferred.
- Understanding of data governance and standardisation.
- Robust knowledge of the existing and emergent regulatory and compliance context for data privacy and protection.
- A commercial mind-set and evidence of effective budget management to maintain a cost-effective and efficient service.
- Able to learn new technologies, keep abreast of best practice and apply concepts to needs.
- Well-organised, self-motivated team player.
- Able to clearly communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience, with demonstrable stakeholder management skills.
- Highly desirable to have AWS data warehousing experience. This includes familiarity with data related AWS technologies including databases (especially Redshift and DocumentDB), pipelining (e.g. using AWS lambda) and associated core technologies (e.g. SNS/SQS).
- Previous experience in building a data warehouse in a complex organisation (preferably publishing or membership organisation) highly desirable.
- Previous experience in management of technical teams highly desirable.
- Higher PhD in a scientific or numerate discipline.
- Knowledge and experience in data analytics (statistics, predictive analytics, machine learning).
- Experience in managing data management projects and technical teams.
- Understanding of digital marketing strategies, marketing automation, lead generation and qualification.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we offer a great, flexible work environment and benefits.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply before the end of our closing date. If selected for interview, interviews will be arranged remotely via Zoom video call.
Download the full job description here.