Your role in our team:
To execute and lead our efforts to systematically store data across the company in support of our ambitious research programmes for uncovering core gene regulatory programs that define human cell types. You will become a key player in strategic research projects, deciding how best to store and retrieve many primary and secondary data types along with metadata. You will design and build databases and APIs in collaboration with our bioinformatics, machine learning, and modeling experts that will be future proof. This is an opportunity to join one of the best stem cell reprogramming labs and conduct research with a real-world impact.
Your key responsibilities will include:
• Contributing to multidisciplinary research programmes by developing methods for the management, storage and retrieval of data from experimental and computational projects
• Developing, documenting, populating, and maintaining databases, APIs, and web portals to store and serve genomic data and other data types
• Liaising with experimental and computational biologists, and machine learning experts, to understand their data needs and to develop the best strategy for data management
• Providing technical expertise by contributing to proposals, meetings, and business development activities
• Performing quality control on incoming data using existing computational pipelines
• Developing SOPs that account for each step of the process
• Working with external and internal sequencing platforms
• Manage data submission to public data repositories
• Demonstrate a strong understanding of the data flow from collection through analysis
• Import and organize data from external sources for comparative analysis with internal data
• Use data surveillance tools and strategies to provide aggregate level reviews to identify patterns or anomalies in our data
• Stay current with and adopt new tools related to data management, analytics, and visualization to improve current processing pipelines
… will join Bit Bio as a keen team player driven by a passion for data.
… enjoy tackling data challenges through critical thinking, rigour and inventiveness.
… are comfortable working to tight timelines and managing workload and priorities.
Your practical experience and excellent organisational skills will allow you to work independently, provide leadership in the domain of data storage and retrieval, be productive and output driven whilst building efficient and positive collaborations with the wider team.
With essential experience in…
• Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences, Data/Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or a related discipline
• Minimum of 6 years’ relevant experience
• Experience organizing and distributing large scale data
• Experience with data analytics and/or visualization tools and techniques
• Experience using AWS for genomic data storage and analysis
• Knowledge of biological principles, and a clear understanding of data types / formats (e.g., BAM, FASTQ) and their scientific use (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, etc.)
• Interest and curiosity to continually improve data processing and analysis pipelines and respond to scientific needs
• Strong experience working and programming in a Linux environment
• Strong biological knowledge and interest, and familiarity with major biological data resources
• Experience in working with and knowledge of relational databases (e.g. postgres, SQL) and common scientific languages such as R and/or python
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple requests and priorities
• MSc or PhD degree in Life Sciences, Data/Computer Science, Bioinformatics or a related discipline
• Familiarity with wrangling omics data (e.g. single cell RNA-seq) and applicable pipelines
• Experience with tracking and managing data and metadata in a LIMS
• Experience in genomics data visualization tools
• Experience with Github
More reasons to join us:
Bit Bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
To support Bit Bio staff and our culture further, we also offer a competitive salary, highly competitive benefits package including pension contribution scheme as well as health and life insurance.
To be part of our dynamic, growing start-up team and share our vision to build together the leading cell coding company, please apply below with your CV and cover letter.
Location: Babraham Research Park, Cambridge
Type: Full time, permanent
Salary: Competitive / Hours: 40 p/w
Office Based Position