What the Team does
Based at our European Headquarters just South of Cambridge on Granta Park we require a Senior Scientist to join the synthetic group within our Research Technology and Development department also known as a Senior Dye Chemist, this will be a permanent role.
What the role is
As a Senior Dye Chemist, you will be involved in designing, developing and characterizing novel fluorescence dyes and nucleotides that underpin the key sequencing chemistries used in Illumina’s SBS technology.
What you need for the role
This opportunity will suit ideally a Senior Dye Chemist who has extensive experience however will consider other materials such as polymer, micro, nano chemistry. Candidates are required to hold a PHD within Chemistry or related field. Knowledge in biochemistry, enzymology or molecular biology would be an advantage but not essential.
Be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills with effective communication. This is a small team therefore role will be hands on and varied. The department won 3 awards for best innovation. Should you be passionate about science, improving human factors and driving innovation for the future we want to hear from you.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
What can you expect
- Lead a team of dye chemists, mentor their development and manage their performance goals
- Build on the excellent skills existed within group, initiate and lead fluorescent dye chemistry research, development and applications to sequencing chemistry.
- Expand and establish novel methods and tools to enable mechanistically characterization and study of the fluorescence properties of dye molecules
- Make decisions involving in the design of molecules, execution of their synthesis and evaluation of their performance.
- Work closely with other chemists, biochemists, protein engineering scientists, integration scientists and engineers to facilitate the technology demonstration at system levels.
- Present results and data to collaborators, extended teams on a regular basis and senior management when needs.
- Follow and ensure team members to follow Illumina H&S and product development protocols.
- Record and document, and ensure team members to record and document detailed synthetic protocols, associated with data and characterization, to facilitate the technology transfer
- Provide supports to the development chemists and ensure a successful product transfer into the development phase.
- Assist and support routinely in equipment and lab maintenance.
- A highly competitive salary
- Market leading benefits package
- Being part of the global leader in the Sequencing industry
- Robust growth opportunities within Illumina