This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Project Manager to join a central Programme Management Office team managing cross-functional investments and strategic change projects across the Sanger Institute.
We have two positions available, one permanent and one 12 month fixed term.
About the role:
- Provide end to end hands on definition and management of major projects and programmes that support the Institute’s scientific Programmes and their supporting Operational teams.
- Work within and support the development of a Project Governance Framework (PGF), which is our working approach to ensuring that our strategic investments plan for and realise the benefits identified.
- Provide guidance and/ or hands on support to business cases for investment, providing emphasis on the benefits to be delivered
- Provide input to and ongoing support to our Centre Of Expertise in project and programme management to support the organisation
- Undertake an assurance and reporting role for investments across the PGF
Your involvement will be from early stage thinking and business cases through to management of major projects and programmes delivering benefits for the Institute.
In undertaking the above, you will assist in identifying and documenting proposed changes and analysing the impact on the organisation through a defined business case process. These can include process and operational issues identified with staff and management to define improved ways of working within an agreed definition of the change. You will be responsible for helping to document the proposed changes and assure their progress through the PGF.
For approved investments, you will be responsible for end to end project management and delivering sustainable change, involving successful planning, collaborating, reporting and implementation of the benefits planned within the business case.
About the team:
This broad role is embedded within the central Programme Management Office where it can best support the organisation in an assurance and coordination role. The Sanger Institute is committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and imagination to solve some of humanity's greatest challenges, and is based at the Wellcome Genome Campus, home to some of the world's foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology.
Technical Skills and Experience
- Consistent track record of leading and implementing change, with demonstrable knowledge of change management methodologies
- end to end project management experience, with a record of delivering a number of complex projects through others on time, in budget and to agreed quality standards - Ideally 5+ years
- Experience of authoring Business Cases for investment
- Business Analysis of a variety of business scenarios
- High level of personal organisational skills with the ability to plan and schedule multiple projects and programmes effectively
- Experience of developing and maintaining key project documentation, including business cases, project management plans, change management plans and RAID logs
- Ability to quickly understand scientific, technical and process challenges and break down complex problems into actionable steps
Personal Skills and Attributes
- A proactive approach and ability to work on own initiative, with creativity and flexibility
- Ability to work with complexity; to analyse situations and problems, develop and propose solutions, and follow through actions
- Strategic thinking, ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
- Highly developed communication skills with experience of dealing with people at all levels successfully
- Excellent relationship builder
Whilst the developments around COVID-19 continue to evolve, the Wellcome Genome Campus is closed for all but essential functions and facilities.
People remain at the centre of everything that we do and the majority of our staff are now working remotely to ensure continuity of operations, making use of remote communication and collaboration tools.
Interviews will be taking place virtually and the successful candidate should expect to be fully supported through remote on-boarding and working from home until the Campus re-opens to all staff. This approach may vary for individuals located overseas and/or where a visa is required and starting will be based on a number of factors, we will be able to provide specialist advice to those affected candidates.
Our Campus provides a unique and beautiful working environment with an impressive range of services and facilities and we pride ourselves on taking care of all our staff and provide a competitive and comprehensive range of benefits for you and your family, to compliment your lifestyle.
We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family-friendly policies and benefits including a flexible working policy for those who may wish to apply to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
Closing date for applications: 9th August, 2020
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Wellcome Genome Campus.
We have recently been awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.