Build your career at the cutting edge of cyber security. Darktrace is the world’s leading AI company for cyber defence – our technology enables organisations across the globe to safeguard their complex digital infrastructure and databases from hackers and saboteurs alike.
Indirect Tax Specialist
Darktrace’s mission is to make the world more secure in the face of targeted threats and evolving, machine-speed attacks. By augmenting human security teams and autonomously detecting and responding to attacks, Darktrace’s Cyber AI Platform reduces the risks of data theft and technology disruption that organizations face on a daily basis. Our technology applies cutting-edge machine learning and mathematics to the field of cyber-security.
Founded in 2013, Darktrace was most recently valued at $1.65B and currently has over 1,000 worldwide employees spread across over 40 countries. The technical hub and headquarters are located in Cambridge, UK, with a US headquarters in San Francisco, CA. This is an excellent opportunity to join a fast-growing company that was recently named one of Fast Company’s 50 ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies’.
We are looking for an Indirect Tax Specialist to join our company. If you want to work at the cutting edge of technology for a global leader, and are willing to rise to a challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
As a member of the Finance department, you will be joining a dynamic and talented team, dedicated to supporting the business in a rapidly expanding world-class company. Darktrace faces compliance obligations in the UK, the US & Canada, as well as other parts of the world. The role will be responsible for all indirect tax activities of the Darktrace group. You will interact with people across the business and have multiple priorities at one time, so you will need to be a good communicator and have superb time management skills, excellent attention to detail and self-motivation.
For more information on our products and company, please consult our website.
Key Duties & Responsibilities of the role:
- To look after group Indirect Tax compliance and associated administrative activities
- To report US sales and use tax returns to the revenue authorities either directly or with help of external advisers, or systems
- To prepare and submit UK VAT and EC Sales returns
- To prepare and submit subsidiary indirect tax returns
- To ensure timely payment of all indirect taxes to the respective tax administration
- To ensure that the system configuration is in place to drive correct tax rate
- To reconcile the system reports to returns submitted and payments made
- To implement adequate checks and controls necessary for correct and timely submission of the returns
- Extracting accounting and financial data needed to prepare the returns
- Reviewing and checking of the data to confirm accuracy; where needed liaising with accounting and operations teams to resolve issues & questions
- Reconciling the figures to accounting ledgers
- Preparing draft returns for sign off and submitting the final reports to the authorities
- Where an external provider is used, sending the information to the advisor, answering any questions are answered timely
- Raising payment requests and gaining the necessary internal approvals
- Implementing internal tax controls and maintaining tax compliance tracker
- Escalating issues and concerns to the head of tax or finance managers, as appropriate
For this role you need to be tenacious, driven and have the following skill set:
- Previous experience dealing with indirect tax reporting, especially US sales and use taxes highly desirable
- University Education in Accounting, Business, Economics or related studies
- ATT, CTA or studying towards (desirable but not essential)
- Excellent numeracy and administrative skills
- Proficient in the use of Excel, Word and Microsoft outlook
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deliverables
- Good with working under strict deadlines and the ability to work with others to ensure timely completion of work
- Highly numerical with good attention to detail and a mindset to challenge and improve existing processes
- Confident in addressing and escalating matters with colleagues in order to resolve underlying issues