Frontier are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
Senior Server Developer
We are looking for an experienced Senior Server Developer to join our online services team and help develop our growing portfolio of online game services, web sites, and corporate information applications, hosted on public cloud services and the office intranet.
The successful applicant would work in an enthusiastic, agile environment across a range of new and existing game and corporate projects, and will be able to expand their skills and experience by working with a variety of applications, servers and databases.
Prior experience in the games industry is not necessary, but experience of playing games with online components will help a lot.
- Develop high performance, high availability websites and applications to support our growing catalogue of online games
- Efficiently develop easy to use intranet applications to help organise the studio's information and make it available to our colleagues and partners
- Build software systems and database structures using public cloud services
- Help debug and maintain existing distributed server systems
- Work collaboratively with the Online team and from other disciplines on shared projects
- Self motivated and inquisitive
- Self directed learner
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Expertise in database architecting and development including SQL
- Strong documentation skills
- Aptitude for learning on the go
- Enough system administration experience to create or debug a typical Linux / Apache / PHP service stack
Desirable (Not required experience – just knowledge good to have):
- Experience of game specific online services, such as cloud save, matchmaking, content sharing, leaderboards, telemetry & analytics, etc
- Recent experience with modern PHP based CMS and/or frameworks, for example Drupal, Magento, Symfony or Laravel
- Working with cloud-based systems, especially Amazon Web Services
- Working with public and private RESTful API’s
- NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB, Redis or MongoDB)
- Apache / Nginx / Linux
What we can offer you:
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 500+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, childcare vouchers, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.