We are looking for an IT Officer to join our growing team. This is a new position and provides an opportunity for the right candidate to make a strong contribution and shape the role to fit their interests.
Iconal Technology carries out contract research and consultancy in new and emerging technologies for homeland security. We work with government clients in the UK, Europe and the USA to carry out early‑stage research and provide independent, science-based analysis and advice.
We are looking for an IT Officer to join our growing team. This is a new, part-time position within our small company, and provides an opportunity for the right candidate to make a strong contribution and shape the role to fit their interests.
We envisage that the IT Officer would both administer Iconal’s internal IT systems and contribute to client projects.
Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate would be able to take ownership of the following internal tasks.
- Systems administration:
- Office 365
- VPN (end-user side only).
- Hardware troubleshooting:
- laptops (Windows and Linux)
- peripherals (such as printers).
- Website maintenance (particularly Wordpress sites).
In addition, interest or experience in any of the following areas (or similar) would be very valuable for client projects.
- Hardware selection and build.
- High- and low-level Linux systems (embedded, kernel and drivers).
- Raspberry Pis and other single-board computers.
- Control systems.
- Basic electronics skills.
- Setting up and troubleshooting networks.
- Configuration management.
- Coding in Python or C.
- Database design and maintenance.
A willingness to occasionally assist with non-IT projects (for example, data gathering and test object assembly) would also be a distinct advantage.
We would also be delighted to hear from candidates who can contribute other, non-IT skills to our project work – for examples of these skills, please see our Consultant and Senior Consultant adverts.
Salary and Benefits
We estimate that this role is 0.2-0.4FT, with the possibility of extra hours to cover additional project work as and when these are required. We would be open to discussion with applicants as to whether the role would be a part-time or contractor position.
We offer employees:
- a competitive salary and company bonus scheme, depending on profits
- a company pension scheme, including a 9% employer contribution
- 25 days’ annual leave (pro-rata) and a time-off-in-lieu policy
- a cycle-to-work scheme
- offices and lab space located in north Cambridge (within convenient walking or cycling distance of Cambridge North train station)
- full support for flexible working – please let us know if you are interested in a principally-remote position.